Question I Overclocked my monitor refresh rate too high

Oct 3, 2019
I’ve always had my monitor refresh rate overclocked. The base refresh rate was 60hz but then I overclocked it to 75hz and it was working fine. Yesterday I tried to overclock it higher then that and when you go to high your monitor is supposed to reset automatically after like a 20 second black screen. When I did it my monitor is just saying “input not supported“ and I have no idea how to fix this since I can’t get back into my computer. I hope someone can help me out so I’m not forced to buy a new one

Thanks for your time

I’ve always had my monitor refresh rate overclocked. The base refresh rate was 60hz but then I overclocked it to 75hz and it was working fine. Yesterday I tried to overclock it higher then that and when you go to high your monitor is supposed to reset automatically after like a 20 second black screen. When I did it my monitor is just saying “input not supported“ and I have no idea how to fix this since I can’t get back into my computer. I hope someone can help me out so I’m not forced to buy a new one

Thanks for your time

Can you get into your BIOS screens? If you can then video card driver is probably setting the unsupported mode at start up. You'll have to force it to start in safe mode to delete the video card driver and re-install it.

If you can't even get into BIOS you need to get the monitor to reset itself: try disconnecting from power and computer for several hours.

Reactions: LeoOPBarbieri
Oct 3, 2019
Can you get into your BIOS screens? If you can then video card driver is probably setting the unsupported mode at start up. You'll have to force it to start in safe mode to delete the video card driver and re-install it.

If you can't even get into BIOS you need to get the monitor to reset itself: try disconnecting from power and computer for several hours.
Yes I do have access to my bios I’ll see if that works when I get home later today.

Oct 3, 2019

How do I boot my computer up in safe mode through my Bios?

How do I boot my computer up in safe mode through my Bios?
You don't do that through BIOS. There's several ways do get to the recovery mode, most depend on being in windows to start. Best way I know if you can't boot all the way into Windows is let the boot progress to the point the spinner starts spinning then before it tries to load enhanced drivers quickly turn off the computer. Do that a couple times then Windows will figure something's wrong and offer to start up in recovery mode. Once in recovery mode select Safe Mode with default VGA drivers so it doesn't load your card's video drivers. Once in that, un-install the video drivers.

Another way is to use a windows installation disc/usb enter recovery mode. Go down to method #3 or, if you made a recovery key, #4.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

And then if all this seems a real big bother borrow a friends 144Hz monitor (overkill just to be sure) and hook it up then change your refresh back to 75hz. Doing it this way you don't even have to un-install and then re-install the drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Alright I fixed it like maybe in not the best way but I just reset my whole computer through the safe mode or resetting Blue interface. I tried just doing the safe mode but when I tried to login it glitched or something and would not recognize my Microsoft password so that’s when I just decided to reset it.
Thanks so much for everyone’s help.

Alright I fixed it like maybe in not the best way but I just reset my whole computer through the safe mode or resetting Blue interface. I tried just doing the safe mode but when I tried to login it glitched or something and would not recognize my Microsoft password so that’s when I just decided to reset it.
Thanks so much for everyone’s help.
hey great for you! in the end just getting it back is all that matters.

at least it was a learning experience