Question I owe the Toms hardware forum an apology I believe. For messing up a couple of posts. I'm very sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
I'm sorry for some of my post not being too specific making it more difficult for the people/techs in here to answer my questions Well I wasn't getting the speeds that I was supossed to be getting from my Isp which is Comcast I pay for gigabyte speeds at 110 dollars a month. I have a surfboard Motorola sb8200 docsis 3.1 and I have a Netgear r7000p nighhthawk router so I was supossed to be getting close to 600 and change on the download and I was getting about 600 and some change so I had Comcast out here to change the lines and they said everything looked fine but they changed the lines anyways. So I se the surfboard sb 8200 hard wired all (cat8) Ethernet the shortest cables I could get so I'm all hard wired. So I found out that the reason I wasn't getting the speed I was supossed to be getting meaning that it was not reporting that to me when I would run ookla speedtest.net is because I was using thrid party dd-wrt firmware and it doesn't have hardware acceleration . So I went and I set in dd-rt to reset to facory defaults and then I went to netgearswebsite and I downloaded the lowest firmware the least recent because for some reason the firmware will not work if I go staright to the most recent fiormware. So I did that and then downloaded the latest version after that. And all is fine now. I get over 930.56 down and 41.86 on the upload. Where as before the upload would be the same but the download would bejust a little over 700 MBPS I guess because like I said dd-wrt does not have hardware acceleration. So all is good now in terms of what speedtest.net is reporting but I have not tried downloading anything from torrent or anything Like that so I have not tested my speed with my nord vpn. But I have some questions. So please bare with me Ok. 1 I have Cat 8 ethernet is that Okay to use with my wired Internet connections or would I get even more speed if I went down to Cat 6. Not to sound greedy but I want as much speed as I can get. 2 I have an onboard ethernet controller on my gigabyte motherboard in my custom built core 17 8th generation processor Intel 64 gigs Ram. on windows 10 pro latest version 2004. Gigabyte Ethernet. Now my settings on this are as follows I go into the controll panel into network and sharing center and I click on my ethernet adapter I have (Client for Microsoft networks disabled) I have (File and Print sharing For Microsoft Networks Unchecked) (Nord Vpn Lightweight Firewall checked) Because I use this. For the VPN. (Qos Packet Scheduler Disabled) (Reliable Multicast Protocol Disabled) Internet Protocol version 4 (IPV4) Enabled) (Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol Disabled) (Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver Disabled) (Internet protocol version 6 (IPV6 (Disabled) (Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder Disabled) (Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper IO/Driver (Disabled) Then if I highlight Ipv version 4 I have obtain an Ip Address automaticlly . And then at the bottom I'm using the following dns servers with the dot in that. and I'm suing Comcasts dns servers 75.75.75.75. and Secondary 75.75.76.76. . Is all of this Okay so far what I have discussed or is there anything that you would change for anything I just discussed not just the dns servers. So now I hit the advanced button. Dhcp is enabled.The dns tab shows The dns server adresses in order of use and it of corse has 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 And down at the bottom I have the dot in (append primary and connection specific dns suffixes) And underneath the checkmark is in (Append Parent suffixes of the primary dns suffix). and at the bottom I have nothing in the (dns suffix for this connection) but underneath that I have the checkmark in (register this connections addresses in dns). and that's it.Now in the wins tab I have (Wins addresses in order of use) I have nothing. and underneath I have (If Lmhosts lookup is enabled it applies to all connections for which TCP/IP is enabled) (Enable LMHOSTS lookup) I do not have that checked. and for the Netbios setting I have (Disable netbios over TCP/IP The default is not checked. So that's it for all that. Please tell me if everything sound good for all of this information? Is there anything that you mwould change? Now when I click on the configure button for my Ethernet controller
(Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V) Everything is uncheck in the power managmnet. Using the latest driver 8/26/2020 in the advanced tab. (Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing) (Disabled) (EnablePME) (Disabled) (Energy Efficent Ethernet) (Disabled) (Flow Controll) (Disabled) (Gigabyte Master Slave Mode) (Auto Detect) (Interrupt Moderation) Disabled) (Interrupt Moderation Rate) Is set to (Off) (IPV4 Checksum Offload) (Disabled) (Jumbo Packet) (Disabled) (Large Send Offload V2 (IPV4) (Disabled) (Large Send Offload (IPV6) (Disabled) (Legacy Switch Compatability Mode) (Disabled) (Locally Administered Address) The Dot is in (Not Present) (Log Link State Event) (Disabled) (Maximum Number of RSS Queues) I have it at (10 Queues) I made changes in the Registry. (Packet Priority And VLAN) I have it (disabled) (Protocol ARP Offload) (Disabled) (Protocol NS Offload) (Disabled) (FTP Hardware Timestamp) (Disabled) (Recieve Buffers) I have that all the ways up to (6144) Another change in the Registry. (Recieve Side Scaling) (Disabled) ( Reduce Speed On Poer Down) (Disabled) (Software Timestamp) (Disabled) (Speed &Duplex) I have this set to (Disabled) Some people have sucess with (1gig Full duplex) But not me. So I leave it at (Auto Negotiate) (System Idle Power Saver) (Disabled) (TCP Checksum Offload (IPV4) (Disabled) (TCP Checksum Offload (IPV6) (Disabled) (Transmit Buffers) (The same (6144) (UDP Checksum Offload (IPV4) (Disabled) (UDP Checksum Offload (IPV6) (Disabled) (Ultra Low Power Mode) (Disabled) (Wait For Link) (Disabled) (Wake on Link Settings) (Disabled) ( Wait on Magic Packet) (Disabled) (Wake on Pattern Match) (Disabled) Amd the Events tab has a bunch of stuff in there but it's Unimportant. In my opinion anyways. For the netgear Router settings for the Home screen I have (Internet Status is good) (Wireless Off) (Attached devices 2) (Connection Type) (Wired) (Device Name) (GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO.DESKTOP-R8LVO6H192.168.1.2 ) (Ipaddress) And then Mac Address) (Dynamic QOS) (Turned Off) (Parental Controls) (Circle With Disney) Disabled) Greyed Out) (Standard Parental Controls) (Open Dns Controls) (Alsdo Disabled) (Ready Share) (Basic ) (ReadyCLOUD (Allows you to access your ReadySHARE storage device from anywhere) (ReadySHARE Printer) (ReadySHARE Vault) (I have Basic Checked). (
Network Connection​
\\readyshare​
-​
(Unchecked)​
HTTP​
80​
(Administrative Password Protection is also (Unchecked)​
HTTPS (via internet)​
(HTTP (Port (80) Also (Unchecked)​
FTP​
21​
(Admin Password Protection ) (Unchecked)​
FTP (via internet)​

(HTTPS (via internet) (Checked) (But Disabled) (Port) (443) (Admin Password Protection) (Checked) (Not sure) Please help. (FTP) Disabled) (All of these) (Disabled) (Port) (21) (Admin Password Protection ) (Unchecked) (FTP (via internet) (checked) (But Disabled) (Port) (21) (Admin Password Protection) (Unchecked) (
Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) - Profile
Enable Guest Network​
Enable SSID Broadcast​
Allow guests to see each other and access my local network​
Guest Wireless Network Name (SSID):​
(All Unchecked)
(NETGEAR-Guest in the Box)

(Security Options Profile) (

None
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] (Checkmark Is in none)
Enable Guest Network​
Enable SSID Broadcast​
Guest Wireless Network Name (SSID):

Enable Guest Network​
Enable SSID Broadcast​
Guest Wireless Network Name (SSID):​
(Nothing Enabled)

(Security Options Profile)

(
None
(Dot Is In None)
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Name (SSID)NETGEAR29
Region North America
Channel Auto
Mode Up to 600 Mbps
Wireless APOff
Broadcast NameOff
Wi-Fi Protected SetupConfigured
(Wireless Settings) (2.4 GHz)
(Wireless Settings) (5 GHz)
Name (SSID)NETGEAR29-5G
RegionNorth America
Channel153
ModeUp to 1625 Mbps
Wireless APOff
Broadcast NameOff
Wi-Fi Protected SetupConfigured

Name (SSID)NETGEAR-Guest
Wireless APOff
Broadcast NameOff
Allow guests to see each other and access my local networkOff
(Guest Network (2.4 GHz)

Name (SSID)NETGEAR-5G-Guest
Wireless APOff
Broadcast NameOff
Allow guests to see each other and access my local networkOff
(Guest Network) (5GHz)
Does your Internet connection require a login?

(No)

(None)

(Internet Ip Address)

Get Dynamically from ISP
Use Static IP Address
IP Address
...​
IP Subnet Mask
...​
Gateway IP Address
(Dot is in Get Dynamiclly From Isp)

(Router Mac Address)
(Using Default) I heard that changing it to The computer or to Use this mac address helps speed things up. (Connection) Is this true?

(I skipped over the Ip address settings and Subnet Mask and Default Gateway)

Region:

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

(All turned Off) (All set to None)

(

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password. (Unchecked)

(

Default DMZ Server (Unchecked)
...​
Respond to Ping on Internet Port (Unchecked)

Disable IGMP Proxying (Checked) (Let me know if I should Uncheck this)
MTU Size(in bytes) (1436)
NAT Filtering
Secured Open​
Disable SIP ALG (Unchecked) And the dot is in (Secured)

( Lan Setup)

(Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection ) (Unchecked)

IP Address
. . .​
IP Subnet Mask
. . .​
RIP Direction (Both)
RIP Version (Disabled)

(Use Router as DHCP Server) (Checked)

(Dynamic Qos) (Disabled)

(WMM Multimedia) (Both Disabled)

(Guest Network Settings) (All are disabled)

(Nothing on In Usb Functions)

(Acsess Control) (Turned Off)

(

Access Rule: This is a general rule. You can also allow or block individual devices.
Allow all new devices to connect (Has a dot in it) (But it's Greyed out)
(View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network) (There Are None)
(View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network) (There Are None)

( Services Blocking ) (Never)

(Schedule Days To Block) (Everyday)

(Time of day to Block) All Day)

(Email)

Turn E-mail Notification On (OFF)
Send alerts and logs through e-mail
Send to This E-mail Address:
Sender:
Your Outgoing Mail Server:
Outgoing Mail Server Port Number:
My mail server requires authentication
User Name
Password

(Send E-mail notification when a downloader task is finished) (Unchecked)

(Send Alert Immediately) (OFF)

(Send logs according to this schedule) (None)

Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
Name (SSID):​
Channel:
Mode:
Transmit Power Control:​

Security Options
None
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Name (SSID):​
Channel:

Mode:

Transmit Power Control:​

Security Options
None
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
I'm sure you guys could follow it. The question is would you want to? Where it would be time consuming. On the other hand I did realize this that's why I figured time is money, and, money is time. So I figured, if someone wanted to make some money... Who knows it might be worth it. I can't speak for anyone on here. Can't hurt to ask.. And I didn't expect anything just thought I would ask. Offer a little something in paypal.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm sure you guys could follow it. The question is would you want to? Where it would be time consuming. On the other hand I did realize this that's why I figured time is money, and, money is time. So I figured, if someone wanted to make some money... Who knows it might be worth it. I can't speak for anyone on here. Can't hurt to ask.. And I didn't expect anything just thought I would ask. Offer a little something in paypal.
No, we don't allow solicitation or money exchange for Forum comments and assistance.
And truly, no one is going to slog through that wall to find the (missing) nugget of a question.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
No, we don't allow solicitation or money exchange for Forum comments and assistance.
And truly, no one is going to slog through that wall to find the (missing) nugget of a question.
Okay I get it... Thanks. I have another question I have windows 10 2004 With the latest updates Now I'm able to connect to the Internet just fine and surf the web just fine. and run youtube videos and facebook. Now I have an sb 8200 cable modem running hard wired Cat 8 and a netgear nighthawk r7000p router using stock firmware The latest firmware. So when I go into the control panel and my network and connection sharing center. and I click on my network adapter My status for Ipv4 connectivity shows no internet connection. Now there's a registry tweak
  1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
  2. Right-click “EnableActiveProbing” and select Modify.
  3. Change the “Value data” from 0 to 1.
I have done this and restarted my computer still with no luck I have flushed the dns with ipconfig/flushdns Reset the tcpip and reset wthe winsock Catalog. And done a ipconfiog/release and then renew. With no luck.

Any help would be great. Oh I reinstalled My Intel onbopard network adapter as well.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.