I plan to buy new CPU, should i put thermal paste on it?

okoice

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Im planning to buy cpu for first time as a component to upgrade my PC. Should i also buy some thermal paste and put it on it?
And can i use it without thermal paste and put it for example later on?
And whats the difference between having it on my CPU and not using it. Is there any major difference? And when i get for example this ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g) do i put all of it on my CPU or only half and save some for later on for example like in 2-4 years to use again?

And my new CPU is going to be: AMD RYZEN 7 1700

Solution
If it will use a cooler with pre-applied thermal paste (should be a blueish/gray square on the bottom, slightly sticky), then you don't have to bother. If the cooler does not however, you will need to install thermal paste. Some might come in the box, or you might have to purchase some.
If you are planning to overclock, then buying higher quality thermal paste from a brand like Arctic or Noctua should help. If you are going to overclock however, I also recommend you purchase an aftermarket cooler (For modest OC's. I would try it out first with the stock cooler though and see how it goes)
You can't use CPU without thermal paste.
Stock coolers come with paste pre-apllied on them, and R 1700 comes with stock cooler. Unless you plan using different cooler, you don't need any extra paste in this case.
Amount of paste used is very small. 4g tube will be enough for several applications, and the paste can still be usable after several years.

Windwalker95

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
If it will use a cooler with pre-applied thermal paste (should be a blueish/gray square on the bottom, slightly sticky), then you don't have to bother. If the cooler does not however, you will need to install thermal paste. Some might come in the box, or you might have to purchase some.
If you are planning to overclock, then buying higher quality thermal paste from a brand like Arctic or Noctua should help. If you are going to overclock however, I also recommend you purchase an aftermarket cooler (For modest OC's. I would try it out first with the stock cooler though and see how it goes)

Solution