[SOLVED] I plan to buy SSD 120GB & Samsung 970 evo m.2 and wanna the sdd 120 for boot it's right or ?

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
I plan to buy SSD 120GB & Samsung 970 evo m.2 and i want the ssd be the boot driver are this okay and let 970evo be for games or this not going work well ?

Solution
I plan to buy SSD 120GB & Samsung 970 evo m.2 and i want the ssd be the boot driver are this okay and let 970evo be for games or this not going work well ?
With the cost of SSD I wouldn't go with a 120GB SSD for a boot device. Minimum I would use is 240GB but 480GB seems to be the sweet spot now. With a 480GB you have more than enough space for OS & Applications as well downloads folder.
With the cost of SSD I wouldn't go with a 120GB SSD for a boot device. Minimum I would use is 240GB but 480GB seems to be the sweet spot now. With a 480GB you have more than enough space for OS & Applications as well downloads folder.

Solution

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
i understand i have plan i not know if its going work well or i going lose some performance i wanna the 120ssd for os and the 970 evo for games like heavy games & 1tb hdd for applications and movies so if i did it going work well and i not going lose performance and should make the ssd for boot or should let m.2 be the boot driver i know m.2 is faster i wanna more info bec not have to much Experience

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it will work. how well is another question altogether.
the 120GB is too small even for a boot device in 2019 and the 240GB class drives are faster, get a larger drive to boot from.
the 970 is the fastest drive and you usually want that for the boot device.
boot: fastest
games: fast or fastest if there is room
mass storage: space above all else

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
it will work. how well is another question altogether.
the 120GB is too small even for a boot device in 2019 and the 240GB class drives are faster, get a larger drive to boot from.
the 970 is the fastest drive and you usually want that for the boot device.
boot: fastest
games: fast or fastest if there is room
mass storage: space above all else
Okay going try if I can get 240 gb and which better if let ssd be boot or m.2 be boot and for games to what you think I just not wanna lose performance and wanna ask to are going get full speed of m.2 most I do games so going get the 3.5gb/s!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
not really. ask any NVME owner and they will tell you that they are hard pressed to notice a difference in daily use. they have their moments. M.2 to RAM transfers can be quite fast as well as m.2 to m.2 transfers.
as with anything its the slowest link in the chain. when copying from NVME to SATA you will only get SATA speeds. from SATA SSD to SATA HDD, your limited to the HDD speed, NVMe to HDD again HDD is the speed limit.

Reactions: PC Tailor
I have a 240GB SATA SSD in my desktop and a 240GB NVMe in my HTPC and the difference in perceived performance is minimal. The only time I really notice any difference will be installing large programs or perhaps Windows Updates. The difference there is the NVMe will save some time but nothing huge.

For your use I personally would use a 240/480GB SATA SSD for your boot drive and then get a large NVMe for your games. While the 970 EVO Plus is the fastest one you can get, you will not notice any difference between it and the Intel 660p for gaming. The fact that you can get a 1TB 660p for the price of a 512GB 970 EVO Plus makes the 660p the better buy. The 2TB 660p is only a few dollars more expensive than the 970 EVO Plus so once again go with the larger capacity for the games.

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
not really. ask any NVME owner and they will tell you that they are hard pressed to notice a difference in daily use. they have their moments. M.2 to RAM transfers can be quite fast as well as m.2 to m.2 transfers.
as with anything its the slowest link in the chain. when copying from NVME to SATA you will only get SATA speeds. from SATA SSD to SATA HDD, your limited to the HDD speed, NVMe to HDD again HDD is the speed limit.
So what about the plan I wanna to do going work or no or you suggest buy SSD only and not going for m.2 or buy SSD and m.2 and make m.2 as boot drive or should let SSD I so confused

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
as I stated it will work.
how well for you? dunno. I only use a 120GB SSD for a hard drive cache. I do not want to be babysitting a small drive, (flashbacks of a 64GB SSD boot drive) no way, always worried about free space. even when installed windows temp files will balloon and require maintenance to keep the clutter down. as has been stated by other even 240GB is considered small.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Okay thanks guys going try get 240 so its fine if I make the ssd as boot driver or m.2 that what you mean righta d ita okay if I make hdd for movie or like free hard to save anything on!

yes. a 240GB is faster and will serve as a boot device better than a smaller unit. as stated outside of certain uses speeds will be hard to differentiate, a 120GB class drive the difference would be apparent.
at least a 240GB for boot.

USAFRet

Titan
Bad idea, both functionally and financially.

Price per GB strongly favors a larger drive.
The better manufacturers don't even make a 120GB anymore.
120GB is TooSmall. Yes, it can work, mostly. But you'll be spending far too much time chasing free space.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
This is accurate.
I recently installed a 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 nvme drive as my OS/boot drive.
Before that I had a Crucial MX500 500 GB SAT III SSD and I honestly haven't noticed any real difference in overall system performance.

Stewart_2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
M.2 is great for people who have limited space and Sata connectors leaving an extra SATA for storage drives. Speed difference M.2 V SSD NONE ! not until PCi 4 components finally arrives if ever. Just upgraded my board to M.2 and relegated my SSD for important file backups and HDD for storage. M.2 is the future but for now its just a space saver

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
This is accurate.
I recently installed a 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 nvme drive as my OS/boot drive.
Before that I had a Crucial MX500 500 GB SAT III SSD and I honestly haven't noticed any real difference in overall system performance.
I was planning to get 120gb or 240gb for boot and m.2/500gb 860 evo for heavy games and hdd for storage what you think im so confused bec people say m.2 really not going see the different so I think going get ssd better!

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
Bad idea, both functionally and financially.

Price per GB strongly favors a larger drive.
The better manufacturers don't even make a 120GB anymore.
120GB is TooSmall. Yes, it can work, mostly. But you'll be spending far too much time chasing free space.
Okay what about if I got 240 gb for boot and m.2 or 860 evo 500gb for heavy games and hdd for storage but most of people say m.2 not going see the different ao should go for it or go for 860 evo ssd! What you think

Okay what about if I got 240 gb for boot and m.2 or 860 evo 500gb for heavy games and hdd for storage but most of people say m.2 not going see the different ao should go for it or go for 860 evo ssd! What you think
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds
If you have ability to do NVMe with your M.2 the best price/performance/storage amount drive is the Intel 660p at 1TB or larger. It is faster than a SATA SSD all while having lower pricing than higher end NVMe drives since it uses QLC NAND instead of TLC.