I plugged floppy drive cable into fan port in motherboard

bootbox3000

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Hello i plugged my floppy drive cable into fan while systém was on there was no smoke it just Turned of then i tried turning it on again it starts and Turns off. Do you think Its only in The PSU Or could it be in The board?

mittewi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Looking at pinnouts, the first two pins are 12V and ground, and they are reversed between the two. You may have blown the VRMs on the motherboard, but that would be really odd - generally applying a reverse voltage would fry the floppy drive, not the motherboard because you would send 12v into the ground of the drive.

Hopefully you just tripped a ground fault. My advice, instead of just trying to power it back on right away, disconnect the PSU plug from the wall outlet and try turning on the power. This should help discharge any remaining voltage from the motherboard. Wait a few minutes, then plug in and power it up.

bootbox3000

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I dont have a floppy disk though i tried it and The system Lit up and shut off again that was About me waiting 15 minutes and The psu stinks a bit could it be in The psu?

Not the best PSU, but it is decent and should have the protections to avoid damage from stuff like this.
So not sure what you mean, did you plug a floppy drive cable into the fan connector on the mobo or did you hit a spinning fan with a cable?
Why are you even mangling with cables with your system on? Should always do that with power off and AC wall plug disconnected.

bootbox3000

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Well i had my pc at a friend but he forgot to put The fans on and he said that They Connect to The floppy cable and then i connected The cable into a fan header because i thought it would regulate The rpm of The fans and yeah i know The pc shouldn’t have Been on kinda forgot About it