[SOLVED] I plugged in new ram with an old one and the pc doesn't boot up!

Apr 2, 2020
I bought a new ram that is 8 GB just like my new one. I plugged it in my pc with the old one and nothing. The pc turns on the fans are running no beeping but no screen and can't do anything! I tried only using the old ram and that doesn't work either. I'm seriously scared that killed my whole pc. I just don't know what to do. Please help if you can!

Solution
Well, the new one is obviously not exactly the same as the old one. DRAM vendors often change the chips they mount on a module and they can even change the chip density to use fewer chips. They can do this under the same part #.

It's doubtful you ruined your machine. To get it running again turn the machine off, remove all DRAM modules, remove the BIOS backup battery, wait 5 minutes, install one and only one DRAM module, ensuring it is in the correct socket as indicated in the motherboard manual, install the BIOS backup battery, and turn the machine on again.

If you want 2 DRAM modules buy a "kit" that is in the motherboard manufacturer's approved vendors list. The modules in a "kit" are guaranteed to work together.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it's 8gb, but is it the same speed and timings?
pairing together two different sticks (even if they are the exact same speed and timings, or even if they are the exact same brand and model) is not guaranteed.
only way to absolutely guarantee two or more sticks will work together is to buy them in a kit.

however, did you make sure that you have them plugged into the proper slots for dual channel?
if your motherboard has 4 slots, these two slots with either be A1+B1, or A2+B2 whichever is the default slots for just two sticks. To know what the default for your board is, refer to your motherboard manual which if you don't have a physical one, can be found online in the support section for your motherboard on the manufacturer website, or the support section of your machine model number if using a prebuilt machine from Dell, HP, etc.

Also, after making sure they are in the proper slots, perform a BIOS reset to defaults.
Can do the defaults reset with a single stick prior to adding in an additional stick, or via a CMOS reset after having installed the second stick.

Last thing I want to mention that is very VERY important.
When going to change out, or add in ANY component in your PC, you should make sure of the following:

Make sure the PC is turned completely off.
If your PC has a switch on the back of the power supply, be sure to flip it then unplug the cable.
If no switch, then unplug the cable regardless.

After having turned it off and removed the cable, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual energy in the circuits.

Leaving residual energy in the components when going to remove or add in something like RAM can potentially result in shorting out the stick(s), the slot(s) on the board, or both.

I would hope you didn't short anything out though (not very common) and instead am going to go with the fact that the two sticks you are trying to use just aren't going to work together due to what I said earlier.

Well, the new one is obviously not exactly the same as the old one. DRAM vendors often change the chips they mount on a module and they can even change the chip density to use fewer chips. They can do this under the same part #.

It's doubtful you ruined your machine. To get it running again turn the machine off, remove all DRAM modules, remove the BIOS backup battery, wait 5 minutes, install one and only one DRAM module, ensuring it is in the correct socket as indicated in the motherboard manual, install the BIOS backup battery, and turn the machine on again.

If you want 2 DRAM modules buy a "kit" that is in the motherboard manufacturer's approved vendors list. The modules in a "kit" are guaranteed to work together.

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
it's 8gb, but is it the same speed and timings?
pairing together two different sticks (even if they are the exact same speed and timings, or even if they are the exact same brand and model) is not guaranteed.
only way to absolutely guarantee two or more sticks will work together is to buy them in a kit.

however, did you make sure that you have them plugged into the proper slots for dual channel?
if your motherboard has 4 slots, these two slots with either be A1+B1, or A2+B2 whichever is the default slots for just two sticks. To know what the default for your board is, refer to your motherboard manual which if you don't have a physical one, can be found online in the support section for your motherboard on the manufacturer website, or the support section of your machine model number if using a prebuilt machine from Dell, HP, etc.

Also, after making sure they are in the proper slots, perform a BIOS reset to defaults.
Can do the defaults reset with a single stick prior to adding in an additional stick, or via a CMOS reset after having installed the second stick.

Last thing I want to mention that is very VERY important.
When going to change out, or add in ANY component in your PC, you should make sure of the following:

Make sure the PC is turned completely off.
If your PC has a switch on the back of the power supply, be sure to flip it then unplug the cable.
If no switch, then unplug the cable regardless.

After having turned it off and removed the cable, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual energy in the circuits.

Leaving residual energy in the components when going to remove or add in something like RAM can potentially result in shorting out the stick(s), the slot(s) on the board, or both.

I would hope you didn't short anything out though (not very common) and instead am going to go with the fact that the two sticks you are trying to use just aren't going to work together due to what I said earlier.
I did a CMOS reset and still nothing. The power supply is working and everything but the screen just doesn't turn on. I have a Asus H110M-K motherboard if that helps.