i problem that becomes common with intel pentium 4 - help me

yairyi

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
i got a new pc (based on intel p4 650 (3.4ghz 64bit 2mb l2 cache), mobo: asus p5wd2 premium, corsair 1gb ddr2 pc2-5400, gigabyte 6600gt, thermaltake tsunami, TT 500w, and WD 250gb 16mb(wd2500ks))

and it works fine

BUT when i need to use my cpu at full load it's temperture raise to 74c degrees - HOT!!!
usually in that point it fails and the computer get stucked.

i think it's because of the warrenty stickers on the die of the cpu (i got two of them) that blocks the hot disipate.

in the store they told me that it has nothing to do with the stickers and that my heatsink(intel's) isn't properly installed - i don't buy that...

what do you think?
what should i do?

by the way here is an image of my desktop while i'm editing video
cpu got to 74c

thx
cpuat74cfullload8qe.jpg

That's a prescot chip isn't it - Firstly they run damn hot regardless - Although your temp is still really high.

Try reseating the heatsink - there should only be bare chip, thermal paste and a bare heat sink base clamped together - no stickers.

endyen

Splendid
Stop, you may bothe be right.
Those paper warranty stickers are not good heat conductors, but they wont cause the problem you discribed. Your chip is supposed to start throttling at 75c. If it wont even reach that temp before failing, there is a severe hotspot on the chip. That usually indicates a poor contact between chip and hsf.
If this is a retail chip, just get some AS5, scrape the stickers off, and make sure the retainer closes properly.
If it is an oem chip, take your system to them, and say that they have thier choice. Either they can remove the stickers, and install the hsf properly, with a new Intel TIM pad, or AS5, and you will pay a reasonable fee, or they can take the chip, and give you your money back. If they give you any problems, just say "manager", if they dont get him, say "manager" "NOW". Mentioning lawyers may become necasary is really dumb shops.
BTW
and it works fine
never includes crashing at full load.

yairyi

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
thx you all

i try to resit the heatsink - but no good came out of this...
the minimun cpu load generated a 70c degrees - REALLY BAD

i talked to the retailer on the phone and he told me to shut my pc real fast before i'll do any damage to my system.

i sent the box today back to them...hoping to get my money back (or a new box...)

just one more question: if i would have bought zalman's CNPS9500 led (aka the best hsf) would it have solved the problem?

p.s.
it's probably not an air circulation issue in this case... the mobo northbridge temp is good and i have a good case with 2 120mm fans and a side 80mm fan....

thanks again for the help...

endyen

Splendid
Any proper installation ( without paper on the heat spreader) should have improved the situation. It may be that the base of the hsf was warped, or a few other things.
I would suggest the thermalright SI 120 at this time, just because it doesn't loose cooling, because of dust, so easily.
Heat will always be an issue with Prescotts, until Intel re-engineers them, but it should never cause the chip to shut down, without at least trying to run throttled.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol just to correct ya, the ZALAMAN is NOT the best HSF, it might look cool with LEDs but it is indefinatily not the best cooler around... too much ads(marketing aka brainwashing) i persume.... get a SI-120 with a 120mm meium or low panaflo or something... (or if you know ur mobo and sure a xp-120 will fit, then by all means go for it and of course a 120mm medium or low or heck high panaflo)

yairyi

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
thx
i'll check it out.

about the stickers...well i can't get them off - my warrenty will expire. and that would be a shity situation....LOL

as i said i sent it to the retailer hoping for good...

thank you all for helping...i appreciate it

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
about the stickers...well i can't get them off - my warrenty will expire. and that would be a shity situation....LOL

THAT IS FOCKING BULLLSHIT!
If they put anything but thermal paste or a thermal pad between your cpu and your HSF...you should remove it. if they said it would void something you tell them to eat your shitt and buy somewhere else. Putting something like that between the cpu and the HSF probably violates INTELs warranty....lol

if you ever get it back....get some artic silver 5, the SI-120 and this fan....it can do 100cfm which is enough to make your prescott calm the fock down.....but it also comes with a fan control...so you can use as few as 30cfm up to 100+cfm depending on how much air you need....if you are still running hot you can run it at 100% for games and then when you are surfing the web turn it down to 50%.

With AS5, SI-120, and that fan....you should tame that Prescott easily.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
is there anywhere in canada wbhere i could get than fan? i mean i want the fan controller that ocmes with it lol the panaflos 120mms don't have fan controllers and i dunno if speed fan will work in turning them down.