Question I purchased a power supply from the EVGA b-stock list, am now having second thoughts as it comes in the mail. Need advice.

Lucas_55

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
The unit is an 850 watt gold certified semi modular power supply for $70. After speaking with users on the buildapc subreddit they didn't think it was the best choice due to it being refurbished unit with only a 1 year warranty. My system only takes 340 watts so I was gonna get a 550 watt unit but saw this deal and decided to get it.

Currently my plan is to wait for it to arrive then return it, after speaking with an EVGA rep on the phone he said it would probably cost $9-10 for the shipping label, I would then buy this power supply, for $45 in turn saving $16 having a brand new unit and longer 2 year warranty. This of course is depending on if you guys think that a b-stock power supply is a risky choice. Personally I have faith in EVGA power supplies and trust they restored it to as if it was brand new, but I'm not the most expierneced.

So should I keep it or return it?

Lucas_55

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Can you post a link to the original PSU you have bought?
The second PSU you have linked is also poor quality unfortunately. I certainly wouldn't get the EVGA550W.
Okay I will not buy that power supply thanks for the heads up. I do not think you can link a specific item off the b-stock page so go to here then control f and copy and paste this: EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 1 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-0850-RX

On a side note how are you able to tell the quality of the power supply? I would love to be able to on my own.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well put it this way,

The EVGA 550W you linked is poor quality, and I'd avoid it all costs.
The EVGA 850W GQ on the other hand, is very good quality, but it is B-stock, so really it depends on what's wrong with it.

No PSU is really worth it with only 1 year warranty, because you can spend $70 and get an RMx or a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550W/650W which are the same or better quality, but with 10 year warranties respectively.

Ultimately, if they have been restored completely to manufactures specification, it'll be good, but you don't get the warranty or the satisfaction knowing it's original new condition (and you don't know what's happened underneath).

So if it were up to me, I ABSOLUTELY would not swap it for the other EVGA PSU you mentioned, however I would consider maybe returning it and getting a much better investment with a new PSU with a better warranty, when you can pick them up for not much different from what you've already spent.

For example:

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $83.99

Less than $15 more and comes with 10 years warranty.

Lucas_55

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Well put it this way,

The EVGA 850W GQ on the other hand, is very good quality, but it is B-stock, so really it depends on what's wrong with it.

No PSU is really worth it with only 1 year warranty, because you can spend $70 and get an RMx or a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550W/650W which are the same or better quality, but with 10 year warranties respectively.

Ultimately, if they have been restored completely to manufactures specification, it'll be good, but you don't get the warranty or the satisfaction knowing it's original new condition (and you don't know what's happened underneath).

So if it were up to me, I ABSOLUTELY would not swap it for the other EVGA PSU you mentioned, however I would consider maybe returning it and getting a much better investment with a new PSU with a better warranty, but that is just my opinion.
Don't worry I will not get that 550W unit. I was trying to save money but then I guess my best option would be to buy the corsair cx550W right?

edit - spelling

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't worry I will not get that 550W unit. I was trying to save money but then I guess my best option would be to buy the corsair cx550W right?

edit - spelling
CX is probably the most budget friendly that is good enough quality to still be recommended. There are better, but the CX is decent.

The GQ if it wasn't B listed would be better. But yes the CX is usually the most budget friendly. Just remember the last thing to go cheap on, is the PSU.

See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Well put it this way,

So if it were up to me, I ABSOLUTELY would not swap it for the other EVGA PSU you mentioned, however I would consider maybe returning it and getting a much better investment with a new PSU with a better warranty, when you can pick them up for not much different from what you've already spent.

I disagree on the refurb EVGA 850 not being worth $70. You aren't going to find an 850w of that quality at that price point. Plus I don't really know how important the warranty really is after the first year. Sometimes they are more security blanket than truly practical. But your overall point is well taken. He doesn't need a 850w unit. Perhaps a cheaper unit purchases new would be a better option for him. We are also on the same page with regards to the EVGA 550w. I am not a fan of the low end EVGA units.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I disagree on the refurb EVGA 850 not being worth $70. You aren't going to find an 850w of that quality at that price point.
I never said the EVGA BQ wasn't worth $70, It absolutely is, but not used or potentially damaged - I was stating IMO I don't believe ANY PSU is worth only 1 year warranty. When I can spend a little bit more, and guarantee myself for 10 years.

As I stated, I wouldn't swap at all, but I'd consider thinking twice because ultimately you don't know what's happened to it, and you're ultimately paying for a PSU that SHOULD have at least a 7 year warranty on it.

I understand and agree, just stating I was not saying $70 isn't a good price, just no damaged PSU is really worth anything when you can pick up so much better for not that much difference that suits your power requirements.

My 750W cost me the equivalent of $90 and has a 10 year warranty :) that's all.

Again, I reiterate to OP, I absolutely would not return it, just think carefully about whether you're happy with a B stock (thus why I answered no to returning the unit in the poll :))

Reactions: King_V
The question of whether to trust a refurb unit doesn't have a right or wrong answer. It's unique to each individual user. Speaking from personal experience, there are some great deals to be had with refurbs. That's a decision you will have to make on your own, Lucas.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The question of whether to trust a refurb unit doesn't have a right or wrong answer. It's unique to each individual user. Speaking from personal experience, there are some great deals to be had with refurbs. That's a decision you will have to make on your own, Lucas.
Absolutely agreed my friend.
Apologies if I haven't portrayed what my thought is appropriately! :)

Genuinely saying the GQ is a good unit, and undoubtedly wouldn't swap it for the other unit whether it was B-stock or not.

I never said the EVGA BQ wasn't worth $70, It absolutely is, but not used or potentially damaged - I was stating IMO I don't believe ANY PSU is worth only 1 year warranty. When I can spend a little bit more, and guarantee myself for 10 years.

I guess I misunderstood you.

The reason I said the Warranty might not matter is that I often find that people just buy a new part rather than wait through the RMA process. Personally, I still RMA the old one just to have a backup, but some people just write it off. For those people, the 10 year warranty is just a security blanket. And that is one of the fun things about building your own machine. Its so personal. Your build reflects your personal design and technical preferences in a way no prebuilt ever could. The process is so much fun.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I guess I misunderstood you.

The reason I said the Warranty might not matter is that I often find that people just buy a new part rather than wait through the RMA process. Personally, I still RMA the old one just to have a backup, but some people just write it off. For those people, the 10 year warranty is just a security blanket. And that is one of the fun things about building your own machine. Its so personal. Your build reflects your personal design and technical preferences in a way no prebuilt ever could. The process is so much fun.
Absolutely!

No my apologies, I probably didn't make my view clear enough! Thank you for allowing me to clarify.
Also, without railroading, I hope @Lucas_55 , we've helped answer your question!

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Honestly, EVGAs refurb items, in my experience, isnt that bad. I got a refurbed 770 SC to replace my dying 660 (or 670FTW) and the only issue I have had was that one of the fans had a grinding noise, they replaced it no questions asked. And now i have been using it for the past, 4 years with no issues. But then again, with it being refurbed, it could be hit or miss, and maybe i just got a hit?

B-stock is not necessarily a faulty unit that has been repaired.
It usually will be a good unit returned for some reason.
Such a unit can not be sold as new so it is put on the B stock list.

The 850GQ is a tier 2 unit on this list:
No problem there.

If a part is going to fail, it will usually do so in the first weeks of use.
A warranty is good only if the part fails.
Better to buy a unit that is not failure prone in the first place.

EVGA is good on customer relations, I would keep the unit.

Currently my plan is to wait for it to arrive then return it, after speaking with an EVGA rep on the phone he said it would probably cost $9-10 for the shipping label, I would then buy this power supply, for $45 in turn saving $16 having a brand new unit and longer 2 year warranty. This of course is depending on if you guys think that a b-stock power supply is a risky choice. Personally I have faith in EVGA power supplies and trust they restored it to as if it was brand new, but I'm not the most expierneced.

That W1 550W is absolute garbage. I would take almost ANY B-Stock power supply (except a B-Stock W1, of coruse) over that boat anchor.

What are you thinking???

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not return the Evga. You assume there is something that was wrong with the unit. B-stock/refurbished is a label that must be applied to an resale. If that unit was ever sold, and then returned after the wrapper is broached, it cannot then be resold as new. That's B-stock. Refurbished is where they opened the box, added the modular cables that the original buyer kept yet said never existed, and re-wrapped. Again, it cannot be sold as new or at the same price as new, as technically it's used.

You've got 1 year to see if there's any issues. If there is, you send it back. Evga has the single best reputation/customer service/support/warranty department of any of the big brands, and I personally have used b-stock in the past from them without issue.

There are better units than the GQ, but you couldn't pick a better vendor for a b-stock sale.
-
I don't believe the 550w was a W1, I think it was the only Evga branded psu that's actually worse than the W1, an N. Not to be confused as a boat anchor, paperweight, doorstop as it's weight gives feathers a run for their money.

All in all, I would not return it.

If the PSU is B-stock, the unit has been refurbished and will perform like a new unit. Even if the unit does not, you do have a 1 year warranty.

Heres what EVGA's website says "B-Stock products are Factory Recertified to meet the performance and reliability of a new product of the same model."

The EVGA 850 GQ is a good PSU and will certainly suffice for a system with a sub 400w power draw. The 1-year warranty is not ideal, but if you were to return the GQ and spend the money on something like a W1 550 you would be getting a much inferior power supply.

Ideally, you should have just bought a new PSU with a long warranty like a 550w Seasonic FOCUS plus Gold, EVGA G2 , or Corsair TX for a similar cost to the refurbished EVGA. But now that you have bought the unit and it would cost more to send it back, I wouldnt bother with a return.