[SOLVED] I put 4 pin psu cable wrong, pls help

Oct 1, 2020
Update: After I check up everything I forgot to install the standoffs, and now my computor is working fine! After all the atx problem was nothing...

When building my new computer I didn't check which of the two 4 pin connectors coming from my psu I put into my motherboard, and accidently put the one with 4 rounded squares in instead of the one with 2 squares and 2 rounded squares. My computer didn't boot up and the CPU fan doesn't start. I already connected the correct 4 pin but wont turn on. I just want to know if when I plugged wrong I maybe fried my mobo, or is something else not letting my computer turning on?
Motherboard: Asus Prime A320M-K/BR, AMD AM4
PSU: I dont know exactly but is a evga 500W bronze

Last edited:
Solution
It shouldn't matter which of the two halves of the 4+4 pin EPS connector you used, because the pinout is the same for both halves. Your problem likely likes elsewhere OR you are not getting the EPS connector fully seated.

The problem is NOT due to using the wrong half of the EPS CPU power connector unless you tried to plug it in while the system was turned on.

Double check EVERYTHING here:

It shouldn't matter which of the two halves of the 4+4 pin EPS connector you used, because the pinout is the same for both halves. Your problem likely likes elsewhere OR you are not getting the EPS connector fully seated.

The problem is NOT due to using the wrong half of the EPS CPU power connector unless you tried to plug it in while the system was turned on.

Solution
They're keyed, so they shouldn't have 'fit' without excessive force being applied?
You may well have damaged the connector.

However, please post your full system specs.
Eh, this isn't really correct Barty. The half that has half rounded pin surrounds will fit in a socket keyed for the square pin connector. It won't work the other way around, but if you DID somehow manage to fit it down in there it still shouldn't matter because the top two pins are power and the bottom two pins are ground, for BOTH halves of the 4+4 EPS connector. The only way you could really screw that up is if you tried to insert it 90 or 180 degrees off, and that would mean REALLY forcing it, as there is an obvious latch on one side.

Oct 1, 2020
Eh, this isn't really correct Barty. The half that has half rounded pin surrounds will fit in a socket keyed for the square pin connector. It won't work the other way around, but if you DID somehow manage to fit it down in there it still shouldn't matter because the top two pins are power and the bottom two pins are ground, for BOTH halves of the 4+4 EPS connector. The only way you could really screw that up is if you tried to insert it 90 or 180 degrees off, and that would mean REALLY forcing it, as there is an obvious latch on one side.
Sorry for the bad english, as you said I didn’t need any effort to insert the connector with 4 rounded squares, and since I tried to turn on the computer this way first, so I figured that would have been the problem, but I dont know exactly, I will doublecheck everything, then I come here again! Thanks for the help.

Oct 1, 2020

THANKS bro, after I check up everything I forgot to install the standoffs, and now my computor is working fine! After all the atx problem was nothing...

Cool man. You got lucky, that you didn't permanently damage anything by shorting out the bottom of the board on the case. If you have any unexplained weird issues, you can probably take a guess at what they are from and that would likely mean replacing the motherboard. Hopefully that won't be an issue though.