Question i put a win10 ssd and i7 processor (old, like 3rd gen) in my old win7 laptop. it wont boot up but will turn on and backlights will flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
also i should mention i tried taking out one of those pin thingies when installing the new processor and I found out later the port snapped off with the pin. i have a soldering tool but I don't know how to use it

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
ok. the laptop is an hp pavilion dv4 and is the smaller version of the maximum dv7. I have that laptop too, but the motherboard is fried but I took the processor out thinking it might still work despite it the motherboard It came with is fried. that might not be to smart considering the processor could also be fried

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
Its the HP Pavilion dv4-4140us model,
Edit: and besides, I had business doing it cause I've done it before. I have experience, but I have run into some problems I have not run into before.

DSzymborski

Titan
Here's the basic problem: downvote all you want, but your problems keep getting worse because you're not actually listening to anyone who knows what they're talking about.

Two months ago, you wanted to solder a "different shaped CPU" into a motherboard. You were told over and over again that what you wanted to do was impossible.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...h-different-shaped-cpu.3595144/#post-21694155

This laptop is gone, dead, finito, kaput.

Edit: and besides, I had business doing it cause I've done it before. I have experience, but I have run into some problems I have not run into before.

Seriously, stop this now before you burn down your house, too. Do you really want to go over the "experience" you've shared in this series of increasingly troubling threads you've posted over the last two months?

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
also i should mention i tried taking out one of those pin thingies when installing the new processor and I found out later the port snapped off with the pin

This is the problem. Nobody has any idea exactly what you are referring to as a 'pin thingy' nor what you mean when you say you tried to install the new processor but the port snapped off with the pin.

You are trying to describe the color blue to a bunch of blind people. We aren't unintelligent, just blind to what you are describing.

First thing I'd do is verify that the bios actually even accepts the i7. It's a proprietary bios and just because the chipset might be viable, doesn't necessarily mean the bios will. It's called 'Planned Obsolescence', meaning some models came with i5's and some with i7's, but HP, Dell, Sony, Lenovo, all of them do not want you buying the i3 and swapping it for an i7 later, they want you to buy the i7 model. At a jacked up price for essentially the same thing. To do that, they only recognise certain cpus in the bios.

Last edited:
Its the HP Pavilion dv4-4140us model,
If you had bothered to look up the service manual (Chapter 1, Pages 1 & 2) you'd already know that you cannot fit an i7 to that motherboard.

At this point you've likely killed both a motherboard and CPU at a minimum.

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
i have looked in the owners manual myself. It doesn't mention anything about it coming with an i7 but the i7 I used came with the dv7 model which I also have, which is in the same lineup of laptops. I even checked the damn chip pin layout- completely identical.

That doesn't mean that the lower model will accept the processor. The service manual (listed above, and obviously ignored) is gospel here. i7 not listed = i7 not supported. It's much more than just "the pin layout matches". I thank my lucky stars that you'll never work on any of my, or my client's equipment.

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
I thank my lucky stars that you'll never work on any of my, or my client's equipment.
ok. nobody, even you who seems to be the big headed person of anybody who has replied here has responded to my initial question. you have wasted my time the most out of anybody here. the only savior this forum has left is USAFRet, and even he didn't respond here. therefore, I will be moving to a less snooty forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.