i put in a graphics card just now in my computer but i dont know if the power supply has enough watts what should i do ?

leaguer

Commendable
May 31, 2016
i put in a graphics card just now in my computer but i dont know if the power supply has enough watts what should i do. So i just bought the nvidia gtx 950 and i fitted it in the case and mother board and plugged it the power supply but i dont know if the watts will support the card how do i check how many watts i run ?

Solution

If it's running then it should be fine. Do try to find the label, though. Somewhere on the PSU, there should be a sticker or label talking about the items specs and warning etc. On there (usually in small writing when it's the one from Lenovo) will be the PSU wattage.

Absolute worse case the power supply fries due to it being faulty or bad quality (would have happened with or without GPU in it)
Otherwise, if your PSU can't handle the GPU, it might just shut off...

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016
What I'd do in your situation is plug everything up, and make sure everything is connected properly then switch it on. If all runs fine, then you're safe. If not, then you might want to upgrade your power supply. Generally anything over 500 watts should be okay though.

leaguer

Commendable
May 31, 2016

leaguer

Commendable
May 31, 2016

i have a lenovo h5 desktop with a intel pentium proccesor, 4 gb of ram, 1tb hardrive and i added the graphics card but i cant seem to find how many watts the power supply has

leaguer

Commendable
May 31, 2016
sorry for so many questions but so i plugged everything up and it seems to run fine but my question is i still cant find whether the watts are below or over the needed watts to give power to the graphics card but still everything seems to run fine is this safe ???

DomDom97

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

If it's running then it should be fine. Do try to find the label, though. Somewhere on the PSU, there should be a sticker or label talking about the items specs and warning etc. On there (usually in small writing when it's the one from Lenovo) will be the PSU wattage.

Absolute worse case the power supply fries due to it being faulty or bad quality (would have happened with or without GPU in it)
Otherwise, if your PSU can't handle the GPU, it might just shut off randomly, usually during resource intensive tasks (like gaming). Until you know that your PSU can handle it, Save often :)

Like someone already said on here, 500W should be more than enough for your entire build. It's always good to have a decent quality PSU :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS