i put over 2500 photos inside a folder inside folders now freezes when tries to open why?

john vitz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
i got a whole bunch of photos and videos in the one back up of the pics... on the second one there are just the photos.., both drives work. so why do they freeze and not load the folder. but i can open another window and load anything else. note some of the photos i added were from a recover of a micro sd card that thought they lost them. also cd rom drive freezes when i try to explore it and folders on other hard drive. just really weird stuff happening.

JaredDM

Honorable
Most likely it's freezing because trying to generate all those thumbnails in the folder is maxing out the RAM in your computer. If you upgrade the RAM or just divided the pictures up into some sub folders, the issue will likely go away. To confirm if this is the problem you can open the task manager and switch to the performance tab where you see the RAM usage to see if it's maxing out.

If it's not that, it could be an issue related to file system damage or possibly bad sectors affecting files in the folder. The first thing I would do in that case is try to make a backup of any important data onto a separate hard drive. Then perhaps try running chkdsk.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Another possibility: One of the files is corrupted. I've had similar problems in the past where one of my videos became corrupted and I was no longer able to access that folder. It's a pain but it can be done. In fact, I'm positive that's your problem... one of your files is bad. You just have to play around or grab a few at a time until you're able to pinpoint the bad one(s).

In the future... to avoid problems like this... simply organize your files better. Keep Videos and Photos separate and then keep subfolders. For example, if most of your photos are from your cell Phone and you take tons of photos, separate them by Month Taken or something. Keeping thousands of photos in a single folder together is way, way too risky.