[SOLVED] I ran compact /s /u on drive but files are still compressed ?

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Using Windows compact command, I ran 'compact /s /u * ' on the root drive but files are still compressed according to UltraDefrag, a significant amount.
Any idea why and how to fix this ? I did have a look in Explorer but can't find any. Very odd.

Solution
FYI:

https://www.computerhope.com/compact.htm

I would not run the compact command from the root drive. Target specific folders and subfolders below that level.

You used a single * as a wild card. Not sure if that is acceptable syntax. Again I would target the files specifically by full file name or at least by the applicable extension: e.g., *.txt

Try/test with small files first and work upwards towards more and larger files. Do not "go global" unless and until you are very sure that the end results will be as desired.

Also: Be very certain that you have the applicable files backed up somewhere else beyond the current host computer's reach. All to easy for compressions etc. to go astray and using a global approach...

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://www.computerhope.com/compact.htm

I would not run the compact command from the root drive. Target specific folders and subfolders below that level.

You used a single * as a wild card. Not sure if that is acceptable syntax. Again I would target the files specifically by full file name or at least by the applicable extension: e.g., *.txt

Try/test with small files first and work upwards towards more and larger files. Do not "go global" unless and until you are very sure that the end results will be as desired.

Also: Be very certain that you have the applicable files backed up somewhere else beyond the current host computer's reach. All to easy for compressions etc. to go astray and using a global approach may have unintended consequences.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

TRENDING THREADS