Discussion I ran into a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD. Its been on the blue screen for an hour but I can't turn off my laptop.

May 13, 2020
Hello.

I am running a lenovo legion y520. It has worked fine for me since 2016. I have encountered another BSOD 2 years ago which cost some money to fix.

My windows has been reset and everything worked fine up until a week ago when I started getting more BSODs with the same message. I didn't remember atm what happened the last time I got it and shrugged them off as an annoyance. They collected their error data and <Mod Edit> off in a few minutes. My laptop reset normally.

Well, this time I got another and it's stuck on the data collection process. It says it's at 100% but it won't reset. It's been an hour. I'd have turned it off myself by now but my power button doesn't work. I've been turning on my laptop with a paperclip by pressing the tiny novo button with it. However, novo doesn't work both ways and now I can't power off my computer.

Generally, I'm fine when it comes to these things and have fixed my laptop when it did some weird <Mod Edit> in the past but I'm just stumped as for what I should do right now. My plan is to unplug it from the wall, let the battery die and turn it on again.

I'll look around the other threads for what I should do to stop this from happening again. I know I'm supposed to boot it in safe mode and mess with some files until it works.

I'd like to know if what I intend to do is the best course of action. Is there a way for me to turn my laptop off that I dont know of? Should I just unplug it and wait? I also REALLY can't afford to buy a new one or have a techie fix it, especially right now. Any tips would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
My plan is to unplug it from the wall, let the battery die and turn it on again.

not knowing laptops. that was going to be my suggestion since you cannot turn it off any other way

2 BSOD in 2 years isn't bad (compared to other people I help) and a lot of them caused by software so we should be able to figure it out without buying new stuff,

If you can get back into windows,
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD
that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem