Question I re-applied thermal paste, now PC won't turn on ?

Mar 13, 2023
Went to re apply thermal paste, it didn't go as smooth as I thought it was going to.

Here's what I did, unplugged everything from back of pc. Power, DP,internet keyboard ect. Remove glass panel. Lay down on its side right after the pc was on so I knew thermal paste wouldn't be welded together. Remove the 4 screws, forgot to disconnect AIO pump wire to the control box not leaving enough slack. Got some paste on other parts, went around with isopropyl 99%. Did not remove the cpu, cleaned everything to best as I could.

Put it all back together the 4 screws plugged the aio back into the corsair controller box h150i. Is in correct position right slot on mobo. Connected everything. Flipped the psu switch to the on position, and not working by not working. Currently there is power to the mobo, power to the power button..

Called a bud, said may be stuck in pre post mode? Clear cmos, did that.

And wtf. Never mind I suppose.. as im typing this all out, it fires up. After pushing the button and sitting here typing this out. Not doing a Thang, it fired on up. My assumption is now this. I may have gotten iso somewhere to cause a short. This was a weird one for me. I'm usually good at figuring out all my problems. But nope good to go now. Lol after I ignore cpu fan error. Should be good to go now.. what...in the actual <Mod Edit>. Um alright, glad I got to talk myself haha . View: https://imgur.com/a/knXAXxE

Last edited by a moderator:

zx128k

Reputable
Check everything is fine and connected correctly. Be careful. Sometime the pump gets disconnected and stops working. So check temps and you should be able to hear the pump working. Clearing cmos most likely fixed everything.

Mar 13, 2023
issue
Went to re apply thermal paste, it didn't go as smooth as I thought it was going to.

Here's what I did, unplugged everything from back of pc. Power, DP,internet keyboard ect. Remove glass panel. Lay down on its side right after the pc was on so I knew thermal paste wouldn't be welded together. Remove the 4 screws, forgot to disconnect AIO pump wire to the control box not leaving enough slack. Got some paste on other parts, went around with isopropyl 99%. Did not remove the cpu, cleaned everything to best as I could.

Put it all back together the 4 screws plugged the aio back into the corsair controller box h150i. Is in correct position right slot on mobo. Connected everything. Flipped the psu switch to the on position, and not working by not working. Currently there is power to the mobo, power to the power button..

Called a bud, said may be stuck in pre post mode? Clear cmos, did that.

And wtf. Never mind I suppose.. as im typing this all out, it fires up. After pushing the button and sitting here typing this out. Not doing a Thang, it fired on up. My assumption is now this. I may have gotten iso somewhere to cause a short. This was a weird one for me. I'm usually good at figuring out all my problems. But nope good to go now. Lol after I ignore cpu fan error. Should be good to go now.. what...in the actual...shrimp... glad I got to talk myself haha .
Check everything is fine and connected correctly. Be careful. Sometime the pump gets disconnected and stops working. So check temps and you should be able to hear the pump working. Clearing cmos most likely fixed everything.

Not sure how cmos would of been the solution afterall, all I did was power down, unplugg everything (back of i/o ) reapply thermal paste procedure. Plug things back in and... well.. here's a video, hopefully it uploaded with this

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023
issue

Not sure how cmos would of been the solution afterall, all I did was power down, unplugg everything (back of i/o ) reapply thermal paste procedure. Plug things back in and... well.. here's a video, hopefully it uploaded with this
issue

View: https://imgur.com/a/gjETbIE

zx128k

Reputable
You have lights on the motherboard. There is power. Pressing the power button = no power on. Check power button (there is a connection to the motherboard, also the power button wont depress fully or work), all power cables and all cables. Clear CMOS.

The issues I get with the power button are dust or dirt related. Most no posts I get, clearing CMOS fixes that issue.

Mar 13, 2023
issue

issue

You have lights on the motherboard. There is power. Pressing the power button = no power on. Check power button (there is a connection to the motherboard, also the power button wont depress fully or work), all power cables and all cables. Clear CMOS.

The issues I get with the power button are dust or dirt related. Most no posts I get, clearing CMOS fixes that issue.

The pc isn't even a year ol build, but tis my first. Everything new. I went through connections starting by yanking all the case i/o

Just doesn't make sense to me. Like I know what you're saying. 100% I just don't get how instead of just powering down from modern warfare 2, to if I was to just shut off the pc, leave, say go make food, go for a hoot 🤪ect, come back to it. Hit the power button, would turn on like normal. But instead of doing that, I decide to lay er down after unplugging from accessories ect. Pulling the cooler off forgetting to disconnect from controller box resulting on accidentally getting paste on gpu..mobo, diodes, lights, fan. A handful of cuetips and iso was used used in the clean up process. Once all put backtogether, doing the cmos same thing. Hit the reset button on case. Power power power click click clickady click nothing was changed, to essentially giving up, making this form, was thinking I bumped a diode a lil too hard and now the mobo was messed. And thinking that was my issue. But while writing on form or making one. It then turns on, without a button being pressed. Works perfect now. Temps are lower then the original fresh build. By a degree or two. But I'll take it, it's not hitting 70° anymore. Back to cpu package 51° loaded for modernware warfare 2.

I do however appreciate your comments. Nightshift.