I re-installed my PC to Windows 8.1 and now my D drive is containing my old windows C drive.

Unisaur

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Here's what happened:

I am a victim of a virus (or malware) hacks of a hacker on steam, i have to re-install my windows, format my C drive but i leave my D drive for personal files.

How ever when i got my new windows, my D drive is displaying my OLD windows C drive Files. Properties is still showing the same Disk space of my D drive, but the files are different. I did re-install windows 8.1 again. But it didn't work.

How can i save my files on my D drive. I just need a few folder in the drives, and i will wipe it out for safety if i need to. Please help!

Unisaur

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
No, i'm very sure that i clicked the C drive. Because if i format the D drive, my Disk Space won't stay the same as before i re-install windows, as i said before.

Unisaur

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I don't know the name of the virus and i'm using PC. This is very weird, may be when i install the new windows, my C drive, which have 90GB, don't have enough disk space for "window.old" so it push aside to my D drive?

And i reckon that the virus killed itself after damaging my old windows, my old windows can not load my personal setting in my google account, and it hold very long at "Preparing windows" when ever i start up my PC. That's why i think re-install windows would be the best option, since the old one seems to be damaged.

I just need 1 folder, which contain my personal pictures, videos. How can i save this? :(

woworwow

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
The only possible thing is you misclicked the install drive. Or the virus pushed itself to the D drive.
Because from all my experience re-installing windows, it never pushes the old windows to another drive even when there's not enough place for the windows.old folder

Unisaur

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Well, if the reason is that the virus pushed itself to D drive, what can i do?

Can i completely wipe out my PC, re-install my windows, and after that use a file recovery software to save back my picture and videos?

Unisaur

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I've always been backed up all my critical data, but this time, only this time i didn't back up and sh*t turn up. I will remember this for the rest of my life :(