[SOLVED] I read the tutorial installing win 10

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
and got as far as being asked for my emai,phone and security code ( which i do not have ). Email was accepted but not my password...they were going to send me a code, but my win 7 hd was unplugged so i could install win 10. there was no way how to get out of this,,,no Skip or try later message as the tutorial showed . I'm texting this on my slow notebook...If i just shut down the desktop, would win 10 be gone or corrupted?

Solution
and got as far as being asked for my emai,phone and security code ( which i do not have ). Email was accepted but not my password...
so pc restarted and you were in the process of creating accounts or logging into Microsoft Account (the password you don't know).

.If i just shut down the desktop, would win 10 be gone or corrupted?

if you restart now, Its half installed, you would need to start the installation again.

should try installing with internet unattached as then you can make a local account and worry about your MSA password after windows is on drive.

but my win 7 hd was unplugged so i could install win 10.
Why?
It would make dual boot way easier if the win 7 was attached when installing, Only reason...

USAFRet

Titan
and got as far as being asked for my emai,phone and security code ( which i do not have ). Email was accepted but not my password...they were going to send me a code, but my win 7 hd was unplugged so i could install win 10. there was no way how to get out of this,,,no Skip or try later message as the tutorial showed . I'm texting this on my slow notebook...If i just shut down the desktop, would win 10 be gone or corrupted?
What password?
"they were going to send me a code" Who is 'they'?

What tutorial are you looking at?

Colif

Win 11 Master
and got as far as being asked for my emai,phone and security code ( which i do not have ). Email was accepted but not my password...
so pc restarted and you were in the process of creating accounts or logging into Microsoft Account (the password you don't know).

.If i just shut down the desktop, would win 10 be gone or corrupted?

if you restart now, Its half installed, you would need to start the installation again.

should try installing with internet unattached as then you can make a local account and worry about your MSA password after windows is on drive.

Why?
It would make dual boot way easier if the win 7 was attached when installing, Only reason to take it out would be to make windows create new boot partition on win 10 drive, but it makes booting win 7 difficult going forward. Have to mess with bios each time.

Solution

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I read your Win 10 tutorial and it said to be sure NOT to have any other hd plugged in while trying to install windows. "They' i assume is Google and Microsoft.

<<<should try installing with internet unattached as then you can make a local account and worry about your MSA password after windows is on drive.>>>

Why wasn't the above quote mentioned in the forums Win 10 installation tutorial?

USAFRet

Titan
I read your Win 10 tutorial and it said to be sure NOT to have any other hd plugged in while trying to install windows. "They' i assume is Google and Microsoft.

<<<should try installing with internet unattached as then you can make a local account and worry about your MSA password after windows is on drive.>>>

Why wasn't the above quote mentioned in the forums Win 10 installation tutorial?
Where does Microsoft and Google come into this?

For a typical install, you want only ONE physical drive connected.
If you are trying to make a dualboot situation, things can be different.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Where does Microsoft and Google come into this? >>>

"What password?

What tutorial are you looking at? "

The quoted text is where i got that info from...either it was you or someone else that 'joined' this thread. Scroll upwards to see the response i got that asked me those questions. I did some research prior to installing Win 10 and explained that i want 2 OS's ,EACH one on separate hd's and most recommended to unplug Win 7 or i may have problems. One did say its OK to have both connected...but not the majority. Yes I would love to not go into Bios each time to view one or the other system. I was getting frustrated when Google and Microsoft kept asking me for personal info, and for fear that i may lose my installation , I gave them my email and mobile phone at their request. Do you know if there is a way that i could start over again and do what your suggesting? BTW, the tutorial is right on the top of this Forum....

USAFRet

Titan
The quoted text is where i got that info from...either it was you or someone else that 'joined' this thread. Scroll upwards to see the response i got that asked me those questions. I did some research prior to installing Win 10 and explained that i want 2 OS's ,EACH one on separate hd's and most recommended to unplug Win 7 or i may have problems. One did say its OK to have both connected...but not the majority. Yes I would love to not go into Bios each time to view one or the other system. I was getting frustrated when Google and Microsoft kept asking me for personal info, and for fear that i may lose my installation , I gave them my email and mobile phone at their request. Do you know if there is a way that i could start over again and do what your suggesting? BTW, the tutorial is right on the top of this Forum....
This tutorial?

In the context of that, it makes absolute sense to have only ONE drive connected when you do this install.
In your slightly more complex configuration, with a desired dualboot, there are two ways to do it.

1. The older install first, then the 2nd, with both drives connected. This gives you a fancy boot menu, to choose which OS. However...if you ever remove the first drive, the second one will not boot. It has no boot partition.
  2. Do each completely separate. This requires interrupting the boot process to choose other than the default. But, if either drive dies or is removed, the other is 100% viable and bootable on its own.

I still have no idea where Google comes into this install. Or Microsoft and 'personal information'.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Where does Microsoft and Google come into this? >>>

"What password?

What tutorial are you looking at? "

This tutorial?

In the context of that, it makes absolute sense to have only ONE drive connected when you do this install.
In your slightly more complex configuration, with a desired dualboot, there are two ways to do it.

1. The older install first, then the 2nd, with both drives connected. This gives you a fancy boot menu, to choose which OS. However...if you ever remove the first drive, the second one will not boot. It has no boot partition.
  2. Do each completely separate. This requires interrupting the boot process to choose other than the default. But, if either drive dies or is removed, the other is 100% viable and bootable on its own.
I still have no idea where Google comes into this install. Or Microsoft and 'personal information'.
Well, had that were mentioned in the tutortial I at least would have had that option..so it did not. As far as Google and Microsoft all i can recall was towards the end of the installation, i was asked for my email and password. If i did not enter it, i was nervous that i may have lost my installation. How they got involved I have no idea....this was my first attempt in the installation, so i thought it was routine. Is it possible to nullify the installation and do it over again. BTW, Win 7 was already on my other hd, though like you said it was not done together.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, had that were mentioned in the tutortial I at least would have had that option..so it did not. As far as Google and Microsoft all i can recall was towards the end of the installation, i was asked for my email and password. If i did not enter it, i was nervous that i may have lost my installation. How they got involved I have no idea....this was my first attempt in the installation, so i thought it was routine. Is it possible to nullify the installation and do it over again. BTW, Win 7 was already on my other hd, though like you said it was not done together.
A Windows 10 tutorial covers a basic, standard Win 10 install.
Not all the intricacies of a potential dualboot thing.

Info for your Google account has NOTHING to do with a Windows install.
Info for Microsoft may include whatever your MS account is, possibly the license key, and a PIN. Maybe.

USAFRet

Titan

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible the they who were going to send the code is Microsoft if he hit any buttons like "can't remember password", it may send one to a linked email or telephone number, I can't confirm that as choice might appear after you enter an email address.

Easiest way is show him steps to create dual boot and local account, he may have not had an account before.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think he only has 2 drives, win 7 that was unattached and the win 10 drive that he was half installed on.

I think 7 was first and 10 added later.

can't you install 10 with the 7 drive in and win 10 will add its boot partition to 7 (provided its set up as CSM in bios). All he should need to do is redo the installation of 10 again