[SOLVED] I really have no idea what motherboard to go for.

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
I have been looking at parts. I've decided the RAM is going to be Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB at 3200 mhz. I don't think storage is much of an issue, but I am getting a samsung 860 evo ssd and a WD 1 TB. CPU is a Ryzen 3600x and GPU is my 1070 from my previous PC. I don't won't to have to get a old Ryzen CPU as I don't have one to get the new bios on, so I'm getting a x570, but the issue is which one. I'm looking very fondly at the
But I'm not quite sure if the RAM runs at the right time as the motherboard. And can I change that part of the motherboard? The timing I mean. I'm bit of a noob so I'm sorry if I'm not giving the greatest of questions.

Solution
If you live near a tech center that sells AND services boards, even if they don't have any that COME ready, most of them will update the BIOS for a small fee. 15 bucks or so. Probably worth it if you don't want to deal with it yourself.
I would avoid X570 for now. If you do a little research and look around, you'll find that there are a LOT of problems with those boards right now. Seems like the entire lineup is botched to some degree or other.

If you want a good board I'd try to stick to a higher end X470 board, even many of the B450 boards are good enough for that CPU. Granted, the problems on X570 will likely be ironed out eventually through BIOS updates, but for right now it seems like things are pretty much a mess unless something has changed over the last week.

What country are you in and what is your budget for a motherboard?

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
I would avoid X570 for now. If you do a little research and look around, you'll find that there are a LOT of problems with those boards right now. Seems like the entire lineup is botched to some degree or other.

If you want a good board I'd try to stick to a higher end X470 board, even many of the B450 boards are good enough for that CPU. Granted, the problems on X570 will likely be ironed out eventually through BIOS updates, but for right now it seems like things are pretty much a mess unless something has changed over the last week.

What country are you in and what is your budget for a motherboard?
I live in America. As the X570 that I am looking at is about $270 it's probably the max I am going for. Maybe 300? I just don't have a Ryzen CPU that I can use to update the bios to be able to use Ryzen 3000. If you could help me figure out what one to go for that would work with my RAM would be incredibly helpful.

This is one of the very best X470 boards, AND it has BIOS flashback so you can upgrade the BIOS to a version that supports Ryzen 3000 if it doesn't already have that version installed, without needing a CPU installed at all to do it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $254.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 00:37 EDT-0400

If you want a cheaper option, obviously not AS good, but still sufficient to run that CPU AND also has BIOS flashback, this is significantly less expensive and is fairly decent quality unlike some of MSI's lower end boards.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $159.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 00:41 EDT-0400

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
This is one of the very best X470 boards, AND it has BIOS flashback so you can upgrade the BIOS to a version that supports Ryzen 3000 if it doesn't already have that version installed, without needing a CPU installed at all to do it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $254.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 00:37 EDT-0400

If you want a cheaper option, obviously not AS good, but still sufficient to run that CPU AND also has BIOS flashback, this is significantly less expensive and is fairly decent quality unlike some of MSI's lower end boards.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $159.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 00:41 EDT-0400
Thank you for helping me out on this. I don't quite know how to do a BIOS flashback but I've got Youtube, right? haha. Thanks for the help, I will definitely try to get this figured out if it will give me less troubles then the x570's would right now. And I can have the Ryzen 3000 installed while doing this BIOS update? Right? Or do I go to BIOS with out the CPU in and then install the BIOS?

Last edited:
Flashback is easy. You download the latest BIOS version for your board. You unzip it onto a flash drive. In some cases, especially with ASUS boards, you will need to use their renaming tool to rename the BIOS file. Then with the board normally connected to power, ie, installed in the case and everything connected normally including all the power cables, you insert the flash drive into the appropriate USB port on the back of the motherboard. There will be ONE such port intended for use with Flashback, then you push the flashback button and let it update until it flashes a specific signal saying it is done.

There are instructions on Youtube, yes, plenty of tutorials for each board and manufacturer, but also on the manufacturers website there will likely be very specific instructions for their implementation of Flashback. Yes, you can have the R3 CPU installed while doing the flashback, in fact, it would be preferred. You don't even need to power on the system to do the flashback. It just needs to be connected to power, but not "turned on".

I live in America. As the X570 that I am looking at is about $270 it's probably the max I am going for. Maybe 300? I just don't have a Ryzen CPU that I can use to update the bios to be able to use Ryzen 3000. If you could help me figure out what one to go for that would work with my RAM would be incredibly helpful.

X570 will have Ryzen 3000 support by default. The X570 was BUILT SPECIFICALLY for the Ryzen 3000 features like PCIe v4. However as others have alluded, it's a sticky thicket of landmines. There's a lot of Ryzen 3000 quirks right now including crashes in some games.

AMD did release a new AGESA this weekend. Hopefully that will fix a few things.

That said, Buildzoid appears to favor MSI for their power delivery. If you are going to go with X470/B450 and plan to use a Ryzen 3000, I would look at Buildzoids reviews for which ones have the best power delivery system.

Last edited:
X570 will have Ryzen 3000 support by default.

We weren't discussing updating the BIOS on an X570 board. We were looking at/discussing doing so on X470.

Both a mid tiered MSI board AND a higher end, to me, preferred, ASUS board, were recommended here within the OPs budget. Both of which have flashback. At this point I don't think it's particularly a requirement to look at reviews, especially from Buildzoid/Actually hardcore overclocking, since he admits that those recommendations are mostly based on paper specifications and that he hasn't actually TESTED 90% of what he's comparing. We already know by this late stage in the game, which of the B450 and X470 boards can cut the mustard and which ones are problematic. Not everybody agrees on every aspect of that, but the information is pretty plentiful from a variety of sources and I can assure you that neither of the two boards I recommended are among those commonly being found to have issues in general OR with Ryzen 3000.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Jul 10, 2019
Gonna ask the local branch if they got any Ryzen 3000 Ready Boards from B450 or x470 and go from their lol. I'm not even considering x570 (v1) at this point

If you live near a tech center that sells AND services boards, even if they don't have any that COME ready, most of them will update the BIOS for a small fee. 15 bucks or so. Probably worth it if you don't want to deal with it yourself.

Solution