[SOLVED] i really need help i'm all out of ideas i noticed that after forcefully shutting down my computer my boot time slows down and some files go corrupt.

tavius

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
pc specs:
ryzen 7 2700x
asrock ab350 pro4
kingston 120gb a400
teamgroup delta rgb
gtx 1060 evga sc
rosewill capstone 550m
1tb toshiba hard drive

the corruption happened 3/4 times i did it. after each reset.
i ran sfc scannow
and it said some files were detected but windows couldn't repair them. check cbs folder repair can be found in /offlog file.
i just replaced the memory so i ruled that out and the cpu is too even though i dont think it would be the problem in the first place. that leaves the psu, gpu, and drives. which one would would be the most likely?
this corruption happened before and after replacing the memory, and same goes for the cpu.
another thing on a related note before the first reset i got 3 bsods kmode exception not handled, page fault in nonpaged area and windows kernel security check failure. after the reset i got iqrl driver not less or equal.
the way the boot slows down is that the ssd loads windows quick but after is loads windows signing in takes 20 more seconds resulting in a 48 second boot

Solution
" noticed that after forcefully shutting down my computer my boot time slows down and some files go corrupt"... perhaps that is why - Why are you doing this?

When you say reset, do you mean hitting a button on PC or are you using the reset function in windows to refresh the install?

If you mean the button
Try turning fast startup off if you have a habit of force shutting down windows - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

By default, win 10 isn't off when you shut it down, it uses a hybrid hibernate mode and saves a copy of all open drivers + a copy of kernel into ram so when you start PC up again, it is already half loaded. This also seems to count for the boot files as...

Colif

Win 11 Master
" noticed that after forcefully shutting down my computer my boot time slows down and some files go corrupt"... perhaps that is why - Why are you doing this?

When you say reset, do you mean hitting a button on PC or are you using the reset function in windows to refresh the install?

If you mean the button
Try turning fast startup off if you have a habit of force shutting down windows - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

By default, win 10 isn't off when you shut it down, it uses a hybrid hibernate mode and saves a copy of all open drivers + a copy of kernel into ram so when you start PC up again, it is already half loaded. This also seems to count for the boot files as well as often people find they can't boot at all after hitting reset on machine.

So corruption if you restart pc this way is common.

Are the forced resets to resolve another problem?

BSOD
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

note: so glad forums remember post progress as I accidentally closed browser just after typing most of this.

Last edited:
Solution

tavius

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
i press the shutdown button to clarify. the reason why I've been doing it is because i want to check to see if it will corrupt those files again because at some point im going to have to force shut down the computer again. can fast startup really cause this problem? is it like because i force shutdown the computer fast startup doesn't get the hard drive locked with the startup information or something? i don't have any memory dumps for the blue screens as i just remembered the last one was before system reset #4

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast startup saves the info to ram, not hdd. So clearly there is a special process to get the info into there before PC goes into the hibernate mode. If you just reset PC it doesn't get to move any data out of ram and if it was half way through an action, that could corrupt files.

If you have a habit of getting BSOD, set up the system now to create minidumps so if any do happen. you can post the info here and maybe we can avoid reset number 5. You shouldn't be up to that many, clearly something else is going wrong.

TRENDING THREADS