Question I really need help with diagnosing faulty RAM/MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2022
Hello, I'm having a quite common issue known as "Hardware reserved RAM". I tried every single fix and nothing helped. My PC boots up fine if newer stick is in A slot, but if my both sticks are in configuration A: New B: Old, then PC boots up and gives me "Hardware reserved RAM" I am going to leave full pc specs and solutions tried. P.S. My RAM sticks are equal, but I bought them separately (1st in 2018 and 2nd in 2020).
PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: ASRock AB350M HDV
RAM: G.SKILL AEGIS DDR4 3000MHz (2x8gb)
SSD: Kingston SA400S37240G
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC
PSU: Xilence XP600R7 600W

Solutions tried:
msconfig
loading BIOS defaults
XMP profile (pc crashes)
updating BIOS
regedit
cleaning and re-seating RAM properly
re-installing fresh copy of Windows both 10 and 11
checking for bent pins on CPU and re-seating it (nothing is bent)

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I'm having a quite common issue known as "Hardware reserved RAM". I tried every single fix and nothing helped. My PC boots up fine if newer stick is in A slot, but if my both sticks are in configuration A: New B: Old, then PC boots up and gives me "Hardware reserved RAM" I am going to leave full pc specs and solutions tried. P.S. My RAM sticks are equal, but I bought them separately (1st in 2018 and 2nd in 2020).
PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: ASRock AB350M HDV
RAM: G.SKILL AEGIS DDR4 3000MHz (2x8gb)
SSD: Kingston SA400S37240G
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC
PSU: Xilence XP600R7 600W

Solutions tried:
msconfig
loading BIOS defaults
XMP profile (pc crashes)
updating BIOS
regedit
cleaning and re-seating RAM properly
re-installing fresh copy of Windows both 10 and 11
checking for bent pins on CPU and re-seating it (nothing is bent)
Since you say "newer stick" do you mean that the RAM was not bought as a 2 DIMM kit ?

Jun 29, 2022
And that there is your problem. Mismatched memory is never guaranteed to work together. This is why you always purchase memory in matched sets (2 or more sticks in the same physical package).
I didn't say "mismatched". Their specifications and manufacturer are identical, just 2 years difference between them. They both worked fine till this week.

I didn't say "mismatched". Their specifications and manufacturer are identical, just 2 years difference between them. They both worked fine till this week.
Unless they were packaged together they are NOT matched. That is your problem. Look all around here and you'll see exactly that same thing. It doesn't matter that they may have worked somewhat together for some random amount of time. The fact is that this is what happens with mismatched RAM all the time. We see it here every single day.

Status
Not open for further replies.