[SOLVED] I really need some help with my internet connection.

Jul 7, 2021
I'm having a HELL of a time playing anything. I can't play TF2, CS:GO, Gmod, Minecraft, or really anything.
My ping on servers spikes up to 1200 all the time, and i know it isn't the steam servers themselves,
i've checked. I'm currently living in an apartment right now, and is using Sparklight internet. Yes i'm using wireless,
and an expensive connection at that.
My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor.
32 gigs of ram.
GeForce rtx 3070.
Yes, i am using windows 10.
I've checked for viruses on my computer and came up with none.
If anyone can help me with this matter i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Solution
I'm having a HELL of a time playing anything. I can't play TF2, CS:GO, Gmod, Minecraft, or really anything.
My ping on servers spikes up to 1200 all the time, and i know it isn't the steam servers themselves,
i've checked. I'm currently living in an apartment right now, and is using Sparklight internet. Yes i'm using wireless,
My computer specs are:
32 gigs of ram.
GeForce rtx 3070.
You need to try a wired connection to determine if it is the WIFI that is the problem. It only has to be...

kanewolf

Titan
My computer specs are:
32 gigs of ram.
GeForce rtx 3070.
You need to try a wired connection to determine if it is the WIFI that is the problem. It only has to be temporary, but you have to try it.

Solution

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Public Wifis are usually shared and you'll get nothing but high pings over there. I agree with what Kanewolf said you need to try wired connection to make sure wifi is the problem. Also, look for any downloads that you might have queued any torrent, system updates etc.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
My computer specs are:
32 gigs of ram.
GeForce rtx 3070.

If you don’t have ethernet access, can you try via both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the router? Did you try switching channels on the router for the band you’re using? Run trace-route to see where in the ip chain the problem is?

Are you actually using a ping command or is it some number you are getting from a game. What IP are you running the ping to.

Do you actually run the same games on other pc that have no problems.

High ping times mean data is being held in a buffer and if that really is only your PC it has to be something very strange.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I guess I’d be looking at your NIC. I’d also try removing/reinstalling the driver for it first. Best to use the manufacturer website for it esp. if they offer an analysis program to make sure it’s the proper one.

Did you download drivers for the motherboard, from the motherboard manufacturers website? A common mistake with kids these days is that they rely on windows 10 built in drivers instead of the proper release drivers from the manufacturer. I guess us older people are so used to downloading and using the proper drivers with a new build because older windows versions didn't have 50% of the drivers you actually needed.