[SOLVED] I receive a blue screen when trying to download Windows 10 from a USB.

Jan 12, 2022
I just finished my first pc build and when I tried to install windows 10 from my USB flashdrive I receive a blue screen over and over again.
The ROG screen will appear, it will load, and then the blue screen. I have tried creating a new Windows installer on another USB, making the mobo boot from the usb, and making it boot from the m.2 ssd installed on the motherboard.

My motherboard is the ROG Strix B-550-F Gaming (wi-fi)

I'm out of ideas. Any advice is much appreciated!

Solution
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Strip the system down and try again. What I mean by this is:

#1. If you have multiple memory modules, use only 1 memory module in the first slot. If you still have issues, try the other memory module.
#2. If you have on-board video, try using it instead of your GPU.
#3. Unplug all hard drives and just see if you can boot to the flash drive only without crashing.
#4. Unplug ALL unnessary devices.
#5. Unplug everything inside, plug everything back up to make sure all connections are secure.

What you are trying to do here is determine if it's actually a hardware issue, what hardware it is, or if it's a loose connection/wire.

I would start with the RAM as it's usually one of the most problematic parts. Also go...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Strip the system down and try again. What I mean by this is:

#1. If you have multiple memory modules, use only 1 memory module in the first slot. If you still have issues, try the other memory module.
#2. If you have on-board video, try using it instead of your GPU.
#3. Unplug all hard drives and just see if you can boot to the flash drive only without crashing.
#4. Unplug ALL unnessary devices.
#5. Unplug everything inside, plug everything back up to make sure all connections are secure.

What you are trying to do here is determine if it's actually a hardware issue, what hardware it is, or if it's a loose connection/wire.

I would start with the RAM as it's usually one of the most problematic parts. Also go into BIOS and reset everything to defaults.

Solution
Jan 12, 2022
  1. Just to clarify, do I test the usb flashdrive in between unplugging components or should I connect and then reconnect everything?
  2. In the BIOS the m.2 drive now says Windows Boot Manager. Could this be a problem?
  3. How exactly do I boot to the flashdrive without the m.2 installed. Through the BIOS?
Also, now I will sometimes get a blue screen that tells me that my PC needs to be repaired. And that I am missing a certain file. 0xc0000225

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
What you're trying to accomplish here is to be able to boot to the flash drive (only) and not get a blue screen.

It is expected that you get an error about files right now, if you are trying to boot from the hard drive, with the partial install that is likely corrupt.

#1. No. Strip it down all the way first. Then try to boot from the flash drive. If everything is going well, add additional parts and try again. Try to determine which exact piece of hardware that could be the issue.

#2. That is the Boot Manager that is on the hard drive. The hard drive that has the corrupt/partial install on it. Set the boot order to load the flash drive first. That option will also disappear once you remove the drive (See #1 above).

#3. Yes, see answer #2. Set the boot order to flash drive first.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A couple of other idea here:

Check the memory you selected against the motherboard QVL

Boot directly to BIOS and check the temp tab to see what is showing there. If that isn't unusual...

Check all of your connections. Make sure to check that pins haven't been pushed out of connectors from your PSU to (such as) motherboard 24 pin and so forth.

Does your power supply provide all the connectors you need for the CPU power slots on the motherboard?

Are you plugging the installer USB into one of the Gen2 USB slots at the back of the motherboard, or elsewhere?

Jan 12, 2022
I disconnected and then reconnected every wire and connector, including the RAM, and reconnected it. I made sure to boot from the flash drive and to plug it into the back of the motherboard. The RoG symbol comes up, loads, and then goes into a bluescreen, on loop.

"Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart it for you."

Jan 12, 2022
Did you get a good Media Creation Tool put on the USB??

I'd go here and follow the instructions to create the Media Creation tool.
I used the same website to get the installer. I have also tried formatting the USB and start over several times. I am using a regular SanDisk flash drive that I bought from Best Buy

Gynvc4

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
I just finished my first pc build and when I tried to install windows 10 from my USB flashdrive I receive a blue screen over and over again.
The ROG screen will appear, it will load, and then the blue screen. I have tried creating a new Windows installer on another USB, making the mobo boot from the usb, and making it boot from the m.2 ssd installed on the motherboard.

My motherboard is the ROG Strix B-550-F Gaming (wi-fi)

I'm out of ideas. Any advice is much appreciated!

download this
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
it helps

Gynvc4

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
if
How do I install this without an OS?

if you have access to laptop or another pc download hirens boot cd and make usb bootable google it.
boot into mini windows in hirens boot usb youtube it.
youtube how to fix non booting windows by replacing the ( sam ) file while using the mini windows in hirens boot usb.
sam file is the restore point file to restore your windows back to working state.
or
you can use miniwindows go to the bad drive and c:windows/dump or run that tool in that file location and se what is the cause of bsod

Colif

Win 11 Master
dumps aren't going to help, they BSOD during install, windows isn't set up properly yet. Its borked.

Gardenman was right, I would check ram 1st
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it - just to make it.

Need to figure out errors before worry about windows
copy of manual for future (yes, I know its X570, the B550 manual doesn't show enough info about BIOS, the B boards never do) - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15826_ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Gynvc4

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
dumps aren't going to help, they BSOD during install, windows isn't set up properly yet. Its borked.

Gardenman was right, I would check ram 1st
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it - just to make it.

Need to figure out errors before worry about windows
copy of manual for future (yes, I know its X570, the B550 manual doesn't show enough info about BIOS, the B boards never do) - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15826_ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

i have x570 mb also running 5950x no issue. It may be hardware related to one of the parts that is causing it.