I received my CPU today from Newegg and it wasn't a fake one

Solution
No...
One of Newegg's suppliers sent the fake CPUs. Newegg has since stopped doing business with that particular supplier. These were not demo boxes, they were full blown forgeries.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
It just happened this month and I haven't heard of it happening before, not to the extent of the fakes reaching Newegg and being shipped to customers. About 12 years ago was the last time I heard of it and Intel put out a utility to determine if you had a fake processor because some them worked!!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
No...
One of Newegg's suppliers sent the fake CPUs. Newegg has since stopped doing business with that particular supplier. These were not demo boxes, they were full blown forgeries.

Solution

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I'm sure the chances of it happening again just got that much smaller. All along the supply chain will be more quality checks. The thieves got away with hundreds of i7s. There are some underservingly happy benchmarkers and power users who got the five finger discount on the real CPUs. Wonder if there's a way to tack them down" Are they like marked bills you give to the bank robber? No unique ID's?

I am pretty sure each CPU has a serial number encoded into it.

I saw a video of the fake i7s and I can tell you that from the box alone it looks fake. The fan looked to be made out of rubber or foam and so did the CPU.

Sad to see people trying to rip PC people off.