[SOLVED] I replaced CPU on old Asus X55C laptop, but threre is no "Turbo Boost" setting in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senn

Reputable
Nov 6, 2020
Hi,

I have old Asus X55C laptop (chipset HM76) that had i3-2328M that doesn't have Turbo Boost.
I replaced it with i7-3540M which has Turbo Boost, but BIOS doesn't have setting for that (to disable or enable Turbo Boost).

I have the latest Bios version 409: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/X55C/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Is it possible to "unlock" Turbo Boost settings in BIOS?

-------------------------------

Sorry, my English is not good...

I "googled" and found that there's something called "BIOS Modding", but it's very advanced and complicated + afaik very risky thing to do (you can easily "brick BIOS").

On the other side, I found two very active forums were people are making requests for "BIOS Modding/Unlocking": users attach their BIOS "dump" there and someone "unlocks" BIOS for them and uploads it there on forum thread (as a reply)... Then, I guess user who has requested "BIOS unlocking" will have to flash BIOS with that "unlocked" version and after that - there will be all settings available in BIOS (?).

Maybe I'm wrong, but this looks very risky thing to do... I mean, why would someone do it for free? Is it possible to put some malware in that "unlocked" BIOS?

Last edited:

Senn

Reputable
Nov 6, 2020
there is no lock if the bios don't support it

Aha, thanks! I was thinking that it's just hidden setting in BIOS because laptop originally had CPU that doesn't have Turbo Boost... but as you wrote - it's probably not supported at all (and "BIOS Modding / Unlocking" will not "unhide" it).

Status
Not open for further replies.