Question I saw a blue spark on my SATA cable

Jul 15, 2019
Today I was going putting my psu in the case and when I was doing this I saw a blue spark on my SATA cable. I was on carpet. My psu was not plugged in to the wall or anything . Should I be worried about this

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Today I was going putting my psu in the case and when I was doing this I saw a blue spark on my SATA cable. I was on carpet. My psu was not plugged in to the wall or anything . Should I be worried about this
Sparks from a computer component is never really a good thing.

Can you explain exactly what happened?
I've never seen ESD cause sparks in this manner, but it's possible.

Ultimately, when it comes to "is anything wrong/damaged" - unfortunately there is only one way to find out, put it all together and test. Assuming you don't have a severe power / grounding issue.

Jul 15, 2019
Sparks from a computer component is never really a good thing.

Can you explain exactly what happened?
I've never seen ESD cause sparks in this manner, but it's possible.

Ultimately, when it comes to "is anything wrong/damaged" - unfortunately there is only one way to find out, put it all together and test. Assuming you don't have a severe power / grounding issue.
So basically what happened was I was putting my psu in my case (on the carpet) and I saw a flash coming from one of the connectors. Doing more research about it and I have a suspicion that it might’ve have been a reflection and it’s unusual for it to spark. The psu is a be quiet pure power 11 700w by the way.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh and the psu was sitting in the case and not plugged into a wall socket
Were all components new? Or has the PSU been plugged in previously. If so, residual power can still remain in components until it dissipates or is power cycled.
if it were a standard SATA data cable, I'd say a spark is unlikely, any PSU cable can spark if there is a problem though. Hopefully it was maybe just a trick of the eye.

Only way to find out really would be to breadboard the system and see if you can boot normally, then if all is OK, then build up the remaining components. The Pure Power 11 PSUs are decent so wouldn't expect a problem initially.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019
Were all components new? Or has the PSU been plugged in previously. If so, residual power can still remain in components until it dissipates or is power cycled.
if it were a standard SATA data cable, I'd say a spark is unlikely, any PSU cable can spark if there is a problem though. Hopefully it was maybe just a trick of the eye.

Only way to find out really would be to breadboard the system and see if you can boot normally, then if all is OK, then build up the remaining components. The Pure Power PSUs are decent so wouldn't expect a problem initially.
All parts are new as this is my first ever build. Got a bit worried as I had spent so much on the psu. The more I think about it the more I lean towards a trick in the eye but I’m not going to put a definite cause on that. I’m building it on Wednesday so let’s hope it boots.