I screwed up my Windows 8 PC...

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Okay, so here's what happened:

I clean installed Windows 8, I changed some settings in BIOS (I'll explain later) and BANG my computer will power up, but the display remains off and it shuts down with a single press of the power button (Which leads me to believe that it's not just the monitor acting screwy, because it should take several seconds to force a shutdown)

Process:

I used the Windows 7 USB-DVD tool to put my Windows 8 (clean installation .iso) onto a flash drive. I installed it onto my computer successfully [Some background: I've read that the tool I used formats the data with the NTFS filesystem, and that some computers that use UEFI can't boot from a USB formatted as such. This was kind of true with my computer (Which was a Lenovo U410) because when I first tried to boot from the USB it couldn't, so I changed the boot priority in BIOS from UEFI to Legacy, and it worked. I'll try to explain why I think this is significant later.]

After I put the .ISO on the USB and installed Windows 8, I installed a WiFi driver (For the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, it did not cause any problems), I installed AVG, Chrome, and was going to finish installing other drivers later (only one device did not have the proper drivers, I'm thinking that it was the Nvidia GPU, but that's pretty much just a guess)

Up to this point, I have only done the listed changes to my computer, nothing more, nothing less. Then, I rebooted to change some BIOS settings.

What I did that broke everything:

I was running a distro of Linux prior to this clean installation, so I had BIOS set to prioritize Legacy boot, I had optimus turned OFF (so only my chipset would run, not both (Chipset and dedicated gpu)) and I had changed one other little thing for the defaults to be optimized for "Other OS." I changed these back to what it had been: So, I changed priority to UEFI not legacy, to Optimus not UMA, and to optimize defaults for Windows 8 64 bit not "Other OS." I hit F10 to save changes, and rebooted.

What happens now:

1. I turn on my computer

2. It powers up (the lights, and I definitely hear the fan. I'm using an SSD so... no disks spin up)

3. The monitor stays off, the spinning slows (doesn't stop) and it stays this way until I press (not hold) the power button and it immediately shuts off.

What I think happened:

1. Like I mentioned before about the NFTS formatting not being compatible with UEFI booting systems (I'm not actually sure of the reason why, just that this supposedly happens. Correct me if I'm wrong), me changing the boot to prioritize UEFI first makes it so that there is no UEFI OS to boot, so nothing happens. This is only a guess, and I don't really think it's the case because Windows 8 uses UEFI to boot by default, right?

2. I had no drivers for my Nvidia gpu, so when I changed the graphics setting to optimus, it tries to use my GPU but can't, so the monitor stays off and nothing displays.

What I have tried:

To fix this, I try to enter safe mode with fn+f8, shift +fn+f8. Nothing happens, it still powers off with the touch of the power button.

I tried accessing BIOS with fn+f2, nothing happens, same thing as trying to enter safemode.

I tried resetting the BIOS by removing the MOBO battery, but I either didn't disconnect the battery and just unplugged and replugged something else (it was a circular shape with two wires, red and black, coming from underneath a black plastic wrap that plugged into the MOBO (I waited the recommended 1 minute) OR nothing changed because the factory default settings are identical to the settings I personally changed.

I also tried removing the OS to force it into BIOS, still nothing.

So yeah, I have never screwed up a computer so badly before, and I'm kinda' stuck. I don't know how to word the google search to get my exact problem, so if you guys can help in any way, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-DonQuixoteMC

Solution
Looking at flashing your BIOS, noticed the 'Novo' button can be used to access BIOS? Can switch from Legacy to UEFI...
Can't find any reference to flashing the BIOS in your Manual....

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
You are supposed to use the jumper to reset BIOS. Find your motherboard jumper and move it & move it back while powered off & plugged it. Make sure you don't start it up when it's in the wrong position. After that it should boot just fine.. that's what it's for.

Ironically the only thing you didn't post is your motherboard model. just paste the model number online & use the manual to find the appropriate jumper.

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
"2. I had no drivers for my Nvidia gpu, so when I changed the graphics setting to optimus, it tries to use my GPU but can't, so the monitor stays off and nothing displays."

have you tried connecting to your onboard video & seeing if it's outputting there? sometimes if it fails to see a GPU or it's set improperly it jumps to option 2 or 3 i.e. your onboard graphics. That's usually the solution to improperly installed GPU.

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
i seen alot off windows 8 computers have this issue. it seems to be with corrupt hibernation (windows 8 will go into hibernation instead off shutting down my default) when shutting down. i know disable hibernation everytime i install win 8.

you can and try to repair the boot by booting the install disc/usb pen, selecting language, then Repair. once in repair run a full check disk and a bootfix.

if this fails you can use the windows 8 install disc/usb pen to reinstall winodws 8 keeping all your data :)

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

darn.. your answer is slicker. That's a pretty slick answer. I think we have this covered. :vip:

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Aww man. I can't believe I didn't even post my system specs! Haha okay, so I'm looking for the MOBO that comes in the Lenovo U410, and I can't seem to find it. Any tips for how to check? I can access my motherboard at the moment, so if you could give me an idea how to find it, I'll check right away. If you still need specs, I will just do a few more google searches about the mobo and get back to you! (What does the jumper look like? :p) and as for your second post, how could I go about testing that?

I didn't even consider hibernation, but this seems really similar to my problem! How could I get it to boot from a USB though if it's only in Hibernation? Remove the battery? The OS? Both?

Thanks so much for you prompt replies! :)

-DonQuixoteMC

Motherboard jumper:
I'm not certain that laptops have these jumpers. You can still go to the BIOS and change to the FACTORY DEFAULT settings.

1) Have you tried changing different BIOS settings then rebooting (i.e. Optimus off).

2) In BIOS make sure there are no USB power savings features on that prevent USB from being accessed prior to Windows boot.

3) Hibernation:
When a computer is in Hibernation it still starts by doing its POST (Power On Self Test) and allowing you to enter the BIOS.

It then checks to see what drive is bootable, in order. If your SSD has bootable content AND it's listed first in the Boot Priority it will try to boot from it (whether it is corrupted or not).

To boot from your USB device you need to ensure:
1) USB is set BEFORE your SSD in boot priority
2) USB has bootable content (like your Installation Image of Windows)
3) USB has not been disabled by FAST BOOT settings.

Other:
When you install the OPTIMUS drivers make sure you have the proper ones.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Thanks for your response! Much of what you recommended I tried, however I cannot seem to influence the system in any way. I have tried removing the SSD, Resetting the mobo (incorrectly I think), accessing BIOS (with the last key combination that worked), Accessing safe-mode, and booting from USB. None of these did anything.

I haven't tried a POST though, I'll google how to do that and get back to you.

Thanks!

-DonQuixoteMC

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
sorry, you never mentioned laptop.

That's a whole 'nother beast, wrapped up in a black box of proprietary mystery. They have custom vendor motherboards, bios etc. They are a separate ecosystem all together for each vendor. I know very little about them :< but you'll probably find some laptop techs here and there. They'll know.

good luck with your issue & sorry I couldn't help. You can pretty much disregard my post.. it won't be helpful for a laptop.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Looks like I forgot to mention all the important stuff haha
Thanks for the responses though! I'd much rather be servicing a desktop, but oh well.

Locked out of BIOS no fun! Try removing the CMOS battery as you have already, this time with main battery removed and AC adapter out, then press and hold the power button for 30 secs or more. (Believe it discharges some Caps and can unlock frozen systems). Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
If that fails, try different RAM combinations starting with one stick in different slots in case it's something simple like a failed stick. (Produces similar symptoms to yours)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Hey, Dodger how's it going!? Good to hear from you again haha

I will definitely try that, I never thought to remove the actual battery too... Shows how much I have to learn about laptops. I'll try all these suggestions later today and get back to you soon.

Thanks for the help!

-DonQuixoteMC

I reread your post.

Just so we're all clear, your real issue is you can't boot into BIOS. That's very serious.

1. Have you entered BIOS before?
2. If you haven't been in BIOS before, are you certain it's FN-F2 and not just F2 or another combo?

3. There may be a CMOS reset like on normal motherboards you can access but I'm not familiar with laptops. Perhaps a very small button you press for 15 seconds? (see manual)
4. Contact Lenovo tech support.

5. Try running MEMTEST from disc (I'm almost certain it won't work).

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
TBH I'd be surprised if this guy is still working on his laptop. It's very frustrating when you have no prior experience and are working from step -5. (I.E.wait, bios.. post.. what?)

Props if you're still on it, but it may be time for tech support. Work on it if you still have the will because it's good to learn.. but it appears most of the advice given is being misconstrued and filtered through your limited working knowledge.

but If you have the time to continue then it's all the better. Frustration means you're doing something you don't already know how to do, and are on a learning curve. Hey, the thread is even still going, and helpful people want to help. It's nice to see an update.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Okay, so I've been busy these past few days, but I just tried some of the recommendations.

I removed what I am assuming is the CMOS battery, the main battery, and help the power button for 30 seconds or more as Dodger said. When I rebooted it, the exact same thing happens as always: it powers on, the monitor stays off, and nothing else happens. I can turn it back off with the push if the power button. It's instantaneous.

Photonboy: Yeah, that's essentially it. I'm almost positive if I can access BIOS I can undo whatever I did. I've been doing some reading on similar issues for people with windows 8 AND my specific computer. So far, the most probable issue seems to be my switching to UEFI from legacy. I don't know WHY this causes problems, as it was originally set to UEFI by factory default, but this appears to be the only reasonable cause. (Again, the other cause is from the switch to Optimus from UMA, could this cause my monitor to not power on?)

Rylt: What information do you need? I agree that I have limited knowledge about troubleshooting a computer that I simply cannot influence.

I am about to try booting from a recovery drive, if I cannot, I will remove the only hard drive with an OS and try again. I'll let you know what happens.

-DonQuixoteMC

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
For some reason, my post never.. uh... posted.

So here it is again!

Strangely enough, after hitting my Novo key (as Dodger suggested) my laptop appeared to be unchanged as it started up (the monitor was still off). However, as I hit the power button, it didn't just down like had been doing, I had to force a shutdown. It still wouldn't boot, but the monitor was on, and I could then boot from a USB to reinstall Windows 8.

So I guess it was that simple. I'll have to remember that Novo button for the future. Thanks for all the help!

-DonQuixoteMC

rylt

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
sorry if I offended your tech skills, that was actually completely wrong of me. Sure you don't know as much about what you are doing but it's been a very awesome and obviously inspired, intelligent attempt. You sir deserve a gold star not only for sticking it out and working hard, but for your superbly clear and interesting writing.

a model forum go-er. keep on going :)
I'm glad to see a solution. I couldn't help out but still couldn't ignore the thread. It was very interesting.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Haha no, you were absolutely right about my tech skills! My only knowledge of computers comes from what I've done with them, so of course there's a LOT I still have yet to learn.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Now I may have to start a whole new thread about this quirky Wi-Fi problem I'm having... *sigh*
These learning experiences are nice, but I would prefer them one at a time :p

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Okay. So this is exactly what happened and how to fix it.
I set the graphics (in BIOS) from UMA to Optimus. I did not have any drivers installed for my Nvidia GPU.

What happens is, your computer does not boot and you can't do anything to change it.

To fix it, I have to Disconnect the Battery and then the Mobo's battery. I hold the power button for 30 seconds, just to be safe. Then I hook everything back up. And you may or may not have to press the Novo button. Either way, for me, the graphics mode was set back to UMA and my computer became fully functional again. I didn't need to re-install it, even though I did.

I hope that helps anyone who also had this problem!

DonQuixoteMC

Edit: The Novo button is Lenovo specific. Your computer may not have it. I also haven't proven that it's necessary for thing s to work.