[SOLVED] I slightly bumped my PC and now it doesn't work?

B_sto4

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, so today I encountered, or I should rather say, caused, a quite puzzling issue with my computer.
When I turned it on it worked just fine except for a rather loud noise from one of the fans... Normally if this happens... this here fine idiot writing for help lifts the back of the case by 3-4cm and then drops it back down... Usually this fixes the fan noise, but this time when I did it the screen lost signal and the PC shut down, even though the power indicator was still on.

I unplugged it and opened up the side panel, then plugged it in again, when I pressed the power button, the power indicator lights up, but nothing on the motherboard seems to work, GPU, CPU and power supply fans are not spinning no signal goes to the monitor, only the front panel power indicator is glowing, also when I press and hold the power button to shut the PC down it does not react and the indicator keeps glowing so I have to kill the power from the PSU O/I switch.

I'm fairly certain that the bump I caused have unplugged something important, but I'm not tech savvy enough to just take the whole thing apart and reassemble it, so I ask which is most likely to cause the problem? The cables on the motherboard seem well connected, could It be a problem within the power supply, but if so why is the "power on" indicator working?

Solution
Normally if this happens... this here fine idiot writing for help lifts the back of the case by 3-4cm and then drops it back down... Usually this fixes the fan noise, but this time when I did it the screen lost signal and the PC shut down, even though the power indicator was still on.

This is what i call a life's tax. Some call it stupid tax as well.

which is most likely to cause the problem?

Hard to say.

If you have tower type CPU cooler (e.g Noctua NH-D15), it's weight could've dislocated CPU socket from MoBo. Here, at bare minimum, you're looking towards new MoBo.
Also, it is possible that your "action" dislocated any capacitor found on either the MoBo or PSU. Since you get 0 life out of your PC, i'm leaning...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Normally if this happens... this here fine idiot writing for help lifts the back of the case by 3-4cm and then drops it back down... Usually this fixes the fan noise, but this time when I did it the screen lost signal and the PC shut down, even though the power indicator was still on.

This is what i call a life's tax. Some call it stupid tax as well.

which is most likely to cause the problem?

Hard to say.

If you have tower type CPU cooler (e.g Noctua NH-D15), it's weight could've dislocated CPU socket from MoBo. Here, at bare minimum, you're looking towards new MoBo.
Also, it is possible that your "action" dislocated any capacitor found on either the MoBo or PSU. Since you get 0 life out of your PC, i'm leaning towards PSU issue, despite the few lights lit on your PC.

If i were you, i'd go with new PSU 1st and with good quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus or Seasonic PRIME series. Though, without knowing PC specs, i can tell which wattage range. But if you have only one dedicated GPU in your PC, 650W PSU is more than enough.

When your PC still doesn't put out any signs of life, even with new PSU, i'd replace the MoBo as 2nd step. Or depending on how old your PC is, it may be better to go with new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo for good upgrade.

Oh, if you're not tech-savy enough to replace PC components on your own, and don't want to go through the learning process on how to do it (which isn't that hard, especially when you follow manuals), you can get away by buying a new, pre-built PC. On positive side, pre-built PC is ready to go off the bat. On negative side, you will get less performance for your money.

Solution