[SOLVED] I spilled vape juice on the power button of my desktop HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileysmith147

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
I charge my vape on my small usb that is connected to my front pannel. I sit it up there to charge at night and it fell over and leaked into my power button. Now the desktop prompts me with "are you sure you want to shut down" then proceeds to do so without me having a chance to hit cancel. It shuts off and turns on whenever it wants, should I unplug the power switch from the motherboard? Should I get a new power switch? Are there any fixes to this? I can't play league anymore because my computer shuts off mid game. Someone please help

Solution
When liquid is accidentally spilled on electronics, it is often recommended to power down and disconnect all power as quickly as possible without causing further damage.

Then let it dry completely, eventhough it can be hard to wait, let it dry out completely.

Avoid doing too much troubleshooting while the liquid still hasn't dried out, and could potentially cause further damage

Once dry, you can power on and try and see what damage might have been caused.

The powerbutton on the front panel is very basic and is not complicated like a phone or a laptop.

Personally I think the power button will return to normal function, once it has dried out. This is my personal opinion, Iam not an electronics engineer, but liquid spilled on the...

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
The power button is probably shorted using your help.
A temporary fix Until you get a new super cheap power button:

press it, when pc turns on remove it pin from the motherboard. after finishing your game shutdown through the windows then take out the power cable then insert the switch pin again untill you want to start it again.

P.S: Why Play LoL while there's Dota 2 Out there?

When liquid is accidentally spilled on electronics, it is often recommended to power down and disconnect all power as quickly as possible without causing further damage.

Then let it dry completely, eventhough it can be hard to wait, let it dry out completely.

Avoid doing too much troubleshooting while the liquid still hasn't dried out, and could potentially cause further damage

Once dry, you can power on and try and see what damage might have been caused.

The powerbutton on the front panel is very basic and is not complicated like a phone or a laptop.

Personally I think the power button will return to normal function, once it has dried out. This is my personal opinion, Iam not an electronics engineer, but liquid spilled on the front panel swith, is usually not catastrophic - but if it is a large amnount of liquid, the problem will have more potential to cause damage of course - but I don't hink I've ever seen vape juice being sold by the gallon privately, so my guess is that it is only a small amount :p

You could disconnect the power button from the motherboard for a few days while it dries out, and manually short the PWR_SW pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver to power on, until the switch is functional again (while being careful of course)

Last edited:
Reactions: rileysmith147
Solution

rileysmith147

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
Thank you both very much! I'm going to unplug the power switch from the mobo until it fully dries and see what happens. I think the restarting has messed up one of my drives, I have a 120 GB ssd, a 2 tb hard drive, and a 1tb NVMe drive. I took the PC benchmark test and it failed the sequential write tests. The computer is running smooth and no other issues from what I've seen, so I'm not sure if that is something to be worried about. But thank you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS