[SOLVED] I still cannot boot from new SSD :(

Sep 21, 2021
I installed a new SSD into my pc ( Samsung 970 evo plus). I tried to make the Samsung SSD the boot drive but cannot seem to get this to work. I either get a blue screen saying something is not connected or it needs to be repaired. Or if I go into BIOS and switch to boot from new SSD, I get a black screen saying it is not a bootable drive and to connect a bootable drive or bootable media. The weirdest thing is... when I go into BIOS and select to boot from my old SSD, it boots up fine! But from startup without going into BIOS screen it just gives me the blue screen and if I go into BIOS and switch to new SSD it gives me the black screen. I have formatted the old SSD and tried to delete the partitions. I check on disk management and it says the new Samsung SSD is the boot drive, but for some reason I am unable to delete one of the partitions on the old SSD, and for some reason boot only works through old SSD through BIOS screen.

When I first formatted the old SSD and deleted one of the partitions, I was able to restart the PC and have no issue with the boot. Then on my second restart I ran into the blue screen and then the black screen again. I really am unsure of what to do and just want to be able to boot from the new SSD.

Should I just fully disconnect the old SSD from the motherboard? If I do that will I not run into the blue screen or black screen? I am just worried if I remove it I will still run into the screen saying the new SSD is not a bootable drive.. at that point would I have to reinstall windows from a usb again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
So Should I format the new SSD, disconnect old SSD and reinstall windows? Or I don't have to format new SSD to reinstall?
Disconnect old SSD,
Boot from windows installation media,
Clean new SSD (enter Command prompt mode with Shift+F10 and use diskpart clean method),
delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg
Install windows.

Windows install process creates and formats partitions as necessary. You don't have to format anything.
I installed a new SSD into my pc ( Samsung 970 evo plus). I tried to make the Samsung SSD the boot drive but cannot seem to get this to work. I either get a blue screen saying something is not connected or it needs to be repaired. Or if I go into BIOS and switch to boot from new SSD, I get a black screen saying it is not a bootable drive and to connect a bootable drive or bootable media. The weirdest thing is... when I go into BIOS and select to boot from my old SSD, it boots up fine! But from startup without going into BIOS screen it just gives me the blue screen and if I go into BIOS and switch to new SSD it gives me the black screen. I have formatted the old SSD and tried to delete the partitions. I check on disk management and it says the new Samsung SSD is the boot drive, but for some reason I am unable to delete one of the partitions on the old SSD, and for some reason boot only works through old SSD through BIOS screen.

When I first formatted the old SSD and deleted one of the partitions, I was able to restart the PC and have no issue with the boot. Then on my second restart I ran into the blue screen and then the black screen again. I really am unsure of what to do and just want to be able to boot from the new SSD.

Should I just fully disconnect the old SSD from the motherboard? If I do that will I not run into the blue screen or black screen? I am just worried if I remove it I will still run into the screen saying the new SSD is not a bootable drive.. at that point would I have to reinstall windows from a usb again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
what are the specs?

for nvme boot drive, you have to either disable CSM or keep CSM (if you have old hardware) but set boot drives to be UEFI only
dont worry about boot order
if it doesnt boot, then your nvme drive is not bootable
disconnect your old drive, keep just nvme inside, boot from usb and do a fresh windows install

Sep 21, 2021
Yes. That's exactly, what you have to do.
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.

If you don't do that, new SSD doesn't get made bootable. Your system will not be able to boot without old drive present.

So Should I format the new SSD, disconnect old SSD and reinstall windows? Or I don't have to format new SSD to reinstall?

Disconnect old SSD,
Clean new SSD (enter Command prompt mode with Shift+F10 and use diskpart clean method),
Install windows.

Windows install process creates and formats partitions as necessary. You don't have to format anything.

Solution
Sep 21, 2021
Disconnect old SSD,
Install windows.

Ok I will get on that right now thank you!

P.S. I also had an HDD connected should I disconnect that as well for this process or that can stay connected?

D

Deleted member 14196

READ THIS. All proper instructions and explanations below.