I still won't buy the P4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, Cas2.5 is still lower latency than RDRAM. Second, Crucial's Cas2.5 runs Cas2 so consistantly that many sites are using it that way in their benchmarks. Crucial has a VERY HIGH standard for cas latency, so most people are running it this way. But as I said, even at Cas2.5 it has less latency than RDRAM. And cost about the same as good quality SDRAM.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunatly Ray I read that last think and honestly think you lost that battle. Do all the math you want, don't mean squat. there are lots of devices that have great specs on paper, but in real life they never live up to there theoritical performance. to date we only have one processor to compare Sdram and Rdram, and Sdram was proven to have less latency. Until a chipset comes out to compare DDR against Rdram on the same platform we can argue this point till we are all blue in the face, and no one will win. True, RDRAM has greater bandwith, but the discusion is latency, not bandwith. If it had both then it would have performed as least as well on the p3. I can take a cas2 pc 133 sdram module and stick it in a pc-66 motherboard and its latency will not decrease. Sure its bandwith will drop do to the decrease in bus frequency but not its latency.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Incorrect there. Bandwidth also plays a role in latency. Your data must be transmitted across the memory bus at the rate of bandwidth. This is one of many factors in computing true memory subsystem latency.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

G

Im gonna buy a dual p4 512 mitubishi low latency rdram pc 1000 compliant. Just waiting fer the new pin array and s kick ass board from asus or tyan. And why do you ask well either or im intel 100% if it sucks it sucks if it rocks it rocks. Either or it will run.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

TRENDING THREADS