I think a store tried to pull a fast one on me (G-Sync)

Trrkk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I ordered an Asus vg248qe gsync, but instead I believe I received a modded vg248qe.

- Nothing about gsync on the box, except a tiny sticker on the side that was obviously put on later.
- Production sticker on the back of the screen says it was built in August, 2013, gsync sticker on the back says is was built in December 30th, 2013.

Are there any other telltale signs to tell a modded vg248qe from a production vg248qe gsync? Is it worth it to pursue this?

I can provide photographs if need be. Thanks.

Solution
Turns out the upgrade was done by a company called Scan Computers and they appear to be a verified partner of Nvidia. That may or may not be enough for you, in regard to trust. I've decided to settle for it as I will replace the screen in 2 years anyway.

Either way, make sure you get the right one. Especially right now, what with the supply of these screens being a bit low.

Trrkk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I contacted both Asus, who verified it wasn't modded-in by them, and the responsible store, who verified that they didn't know there was a difference between the two 'types' of screens (VG248QE GSYNC and the 'tampered with' DIY version, preinstalled).

I stronlgy urge anyone thinking of ordering this screen to make sure they get the right one, your store may not be aware of the difference (the difference being production value, of course). This monitor is pricey enough for you to deserve exactly what you ordered.

Trrkk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Turns out the upgrade was done by a company called Scan Computers and they appear to be a verified partner of Nvidia. That may or may not be enough for you, in regard to trust. I've decided to settle for it as I will replace the screen in 2 years anyway.

Either way, make sure you get the right one. Especially right now, what with the supply of these screens being a bit low.

Solution

oOSlushyOo

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Interesting find....I will definitely keep this in mind.