[SOLVED] I think GPU Overheating is Causing freezes

Feb 4, 2020
Hi,

I built a pc for gaming with an Oculus Rift S. I want to play with high resolution, but my computer keeps freezing after a few minutes of gameplay. Among other steps, I used Open Hardware Monitor and my GPU gets up to 80°C and then the pc freezes. No other components get over 50°C.

So I suspect an overheating GPU is causing the freeze because: I set all the fans to 100%, which prevents a freeze for longer, but again, when it gets over 80°C it freezes. I also played with the case open, which keeps the GPU temp at 71°C max, and no freeze.

My questions are:
Am I right? Or could it be something else? What else should I check?

And, if I’m right, how do I fix the cooling? I’ve moved the fans around, and set the fans at 100%. Is this a matter of changing the case? Or is it even about going with water cooling? (That seems pretty intense.)

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700k 3.6 GHZ 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Evga GeForce RTX Ti Black Edition
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
PSU: Evga SuperNove 750 G3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
SSD: Samsung Evo 1 TB 2.5”

Case: Corsair 110Q (It has one case fan in back.)
Two additional fans in front: 140mm Arctic PWM.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Hi Calm
Can you download the free HWinfo64 as it is more accurate.

Your GPU should thermal throttle at around 84c to prevent overheating.
At least your GPU fans are working ok as with your case open 71c is fine.

I too have an RTX 2080 ti and Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K high settings it runs about 70c.
I did have higher temperatures originally but solved it with improved airflow in the case.
I removed two of the PCI blanking plates at the back in line with the GPU's fans so the the GPU could draw in fresh air easier.
Also I have a side vent in line with the GPU's exhaust which helps as your card and mine both exhaust heat into the case.
This will be recycled and cause higher temperatures so hence the improved airflow...

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Hi Calm
Can you download the free HWinfo64 as it is more accurate.

Your GPU should thermal throttle at around 84c to prevent overheating.
At least your GPU fans are working ok as with your case open 71c is fine.

I too have an RTX 2080 ti and Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K high settings it runs about 70c.
I did have higher temperatures originally but solved it with improved airflow in the case.
I removed two of the PCI blanking plates at the back in line with the GPU's fans so the the GPU could draw in fresh air easier.
Also I have a side vent in line with the GPU's exhaust which helps as your card and mine both exhaust heat into the case.
This will be recycled and cause higher temperatures so hence the improved airflow being important.
If you have a side vent it will help and you can also install a fan to blow air out of it too.

If your temperature of 80c is correct then that is on the high side but not dangerously so.
Obviously to avoid freezing though you want it well below that.

MSI Afterburner lets you change the power and thermal throttling from 84c to 88c on mine so try downloading that as it increases the power but at the cost of a few degrees.
That might be causing your freezing.

Your actual PSU should be fine as I use a 730 watt one with a Ryzen 3700x and RTX 2080 ti.

Andy

Solution