I think I am Having Some Temperature Problems...(i7)

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
tempsv.jpg

click if picture doesn't work

Am I wrong or is this normal?

Specs:
i7 920 (all stock)
evga x58 LE
6 gb ram
1tb hdd
750 watt psu
Windows Vista x64

Solution

i think it's speed step but sence i only have a P4 (which doesn't have any feature the I7's have except for the Hyperthreading), i can not say for sure if it is.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
At first I thought "That's alright" then went looking for the 3.8GHz overlock and read STOCK. :eek:

Should be about half that. In fact, if you move the figures in distance to tjmax to temperature, and then move temperature figures down, you'd have about the right number in the right places.

Better check the heat sink to start with...

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yea those heatsinks are a bear to get in right. Just make sure it's securely connected to the board and all the pins are pushed through. If you can simply pull part of the heatsink off the motherboard with just a tug, then one or more of the pins haven't been pushed enough.

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Can you guys offer some suggestions? After doing some searching I found that these temps are insane.

Reseat the heatsink, okay buy do I need to clean and apply new thermal paste? I don't have any, so I'll have to get some (any recomendations?)

About the heatsink, that thing is on there I can lift the motherboard with the video card attached (4850) by holding on to it, so it is in there tightly.

Maybe I should get a new cooler? Which one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

reducing the volts can help reduce temps. (you wont lose performance.)

Just go into bios, find your cpu volt (i think it's also called vcore) settings, write down the stocked volts, and reduce in the volts in SMALL increments. Once you reduce it a little bit, save the changes and see if windows boots.

If so then you can reduce the volts farther.
If not then increase the voltage until windows boots again.

after all that run Prime95 to be sure that the system is stable on the voltage.

Hope this helps with the temps.

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Do you know the name of the feature that makes the processor automatically underclock itself when it doesn't need that much processing power.

I know that's not the best description, but maybe (hopefully) someone knows what I mean.

i think it's speed step but sence i only have a P4 (which doesn't have any feature the I7's have except for the Hyperthreading), i can not say for sure if it is.

Solution