Question I think I broke my audio in my motherboard

Cheat_

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Recently I have tried putting my mobo into a new case and that didn't work so well so I put it back into my Dell Inspiron 3847's original case, since then, the audio hasn't worked, my pc came with Realtek audio and nether does the mic or the sound work, I have tried installing the drivers through Driver Booster 5 and reinstalling them, they still didn't show up in device manager, I have no idea and the past few days have been completely frustrating for me and I am just so done with this, have I fried the sound on my board? Do I have to get a sound card to put in my PCI slot? Thanks again, Branden (aka Cheat_)

This is a repost because I haven't gotten any replies on my old one in another thread, it might've been mislabeled but I'm not sure, if anyone has the knowledge then I would love the help!

Hardly, I would suggest you to look up back of the motherboard if there are any scratches.
An idiotic question, have you used standoffs? (If you have powered it up in new case)

But since it does not neither show up in device manager nor it works with default windows drivers, i would call it "dead".
Have you checked the front panel just in case?

Cheat_

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Hardly, I would suggest you to look up back of the motherboard if there are any scratches.
An idiotic question, have you used standoffs? (If you have powered it up in new case)

But since it does not neither show up in device manager nor it works with default windows drivers, i would call it "dead".
Have you checked the front panel just in case?
I used the standoffs in the new case but in my old one all the standoffs are installed so they can't really come out if I remember correctly. Since I believe that I am to the point of giving up and buying a new sound card/ usb sound card, what options do you think are best?

Well, best option would be motherboard as is less hardware , less complication. But if you can get hand on cheap sound card that would be kinda great, but beware of the COMPABILITY with windows.

I would not recommend USB soundcard, go for PCI/PCIE one.

I have 2 , one from 2003 and DGI Xonar. Both PCI.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before you buy a new sound card, try this.

Almost all mobo-based Realtek sound systems have an interesting feature that allows you to re-define what devices are being plugged into which jacks on the back panel. But you have to use it correctly, of the system will stop playing sound for you completely! I'll describe how it works with my system, and yours will likely be similar.

First, set up your system so you can reach the back panel and the several speaker and microphone plugs that you would plug into those sockets. Now also make sure you can see your monitor screen and reach your keyboard and mouse.
  1. UNplug all the speaker and microphone cords, including the front panel jacks. Boot up your system.
  2. Choose ONE plug - say the front left / right speakers, usually light green colour code. Plug it into the correct jack (light green?) and watch your screen. Realtek should pop up a small window that says it detected that something was plugged into that jack, and suggests what that might have been. If it is wrong, set it correctly. But even if it is right, you MUST reply by confirming it. If you wait too long with no answer and the window disappears, it will NOT send out signals on that jack!
  3. OK, so if you've confirmed the first thing plugged in, go on to repeat the next thing - maybe the front centre / subwoofer speakers, or whatever. Again, answer what you just plugged in.
  4. Keep on going until, one at a time, you have connected output devices (speakers, earphones) and inputs (mics), confirming each or correcting as necessary.
  5. When all the devices have been plugged in, use the Realtek configuration utility to test play sounds on your system. Do you have sound back?