Question I think i broke my pc could someone give me pointers?

Aug 3, 2021
So for a while now my pc has been having ram issues such as ram not showing up, crashes, and lots and lots of reboots, some of the stop codes were driver related and some were just ram related. It always went back to ram though. Eventually I reinstalled windows and it seemed to be fixed other than 2 sticks of ram not showing up. (Its all stock and came with the same ram) so I decided I would clean out the motherboard from all the dust and in the process realized that my cpu heat sink was extremely coated in dust. So I removed the heat sink and then realized I just broke the seal to the thermal paste. Keep in mind the thermal paste was like turning orange from heat and looked like I needed a new cpu/ thermal paste. So I put new thermal paste on it today and now the issue is that I cant even boot. I used to get a blue screen atleast before but now its just no signal. It turns on, the fans start spinning. Lights are lit up then 3 seconds later it turns off then turns back on. Then it stays on with no signal? I have no clue what I did or if my motherboard just officially died on me. From what I read it sounds mostly like the ram isn't working properly, I guess it could be my cpu but I dont know. This is where I'm lost any help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
sounds like its trying to load a bios auto tune or XMP profile, pull all the sticks out and test one at a time and if not then do a bios reset with the CMOS jumper

Aug 3, 2021
sounds like its trying to load a bios auto tune or XMP profile, pull all the sticks out and test one at a time and if not then do a bios reset with the CMOS jumper

There's 6 slots and 6 sticks of ram. Ive tried putting 1 in certain slots and nothing happened so I tried putting 2 in the slots and nothing changed. Always ended up with the same results I never tried the bios reset since I cant get passed the no input

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you should be able to force the reset with the CMOS pins on the motherboard, I would need the model of your motherboard and to look it up in the manual if I can find it online

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
So for a while now my pc has been having ram issues such as ram not showing up, crashes, and lots and lots of reboots, some of the stop codes were driver related and some were just ram related. It always went back to ram though. Eventually I reinstalled windows and it seemed to be fixed other than 2 sticks of ram not showing up. (Its all stock and came with the same ram) so I decided I would clean out the motherboard from all the dust and in the process realized that my cpu heat sink was extremely coated in dust. So I removed the heat sink and then realized I just broke the seal to the thermal paste. Keep in mind the thermal paste was like turning orange from heat and looked like I needed a new cpu/ thermal paste. So I put new thermal paste on it today and now the issue is that I cant even boot. I used to get a blue screen atleast before but now its just no signal. It turns on, the fans start spinning. Lights are lit up then 3 seconds later it turns off then turns back on. Then it stays on with no signal? I have no clue what I did or if my motherboard just officially died on me. From what I read it sounds mostly like the ram isn't working properly, I guess it could be my cpu but I dont know. This is where I'm lost any help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
CPU might have got pressed too much. Try loosening up the screws to the CPU heatsink.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
not seeing any thing online to point it out.

the principle is you find 3 pins with 2 shorted out with a tiny removable cap box labeled CMOS or something on the motherboard you slide it off the 2 pins and move it over one pin so its still covering 2 pins and turn the pc on and let it reset, takes like 30 seconds, turn the pc off and move the cap box back to its original position covering 2 pins

Aug 3, 2021

the principle is you find 3 pins with 2 shorted out with a tiny removable cap box labeled CMOS or something on the motherboard you slide it off the 2 pins and move it over one pin so its still covering 2 pins and turn the pc on and let it reset, takes like 30 seconds, turn the pc off and move the cap box back to its original position covering 2 pins
Okay I kind of am confused as there are 6 pins on the cmos area. There's 2 caps as well. Should I move both over or just 1?

Aug 3, 2021

Okay so the other cap says pw or power so im not gonna touch that one, should I see something on the screen when its resetting? Because I saw absolutely nothing

Aug 3, 2021
it might make continues beeping noise, it should not have wires running out of the box cap those ones are for your buttons on your case
Its not power actually its pwd. I'm not sure what that is but its touching the cmos clear. Its not a wire its just a second cap if I can find one and link it to you then I will if not ill make a youtube video of the caps

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
c01701084.jpg

Aug 3, 2021
I would have to see a picture but I imagine its a row of pins either in one direction or above and below
Its 2 rows of 3 pins. Identical to eachother and 2 caps on the first 2 pins
Q X
Q X

The Q's are just representing the 2 caps going left to right
Top row is cmos clear and cmos default
Bottom row is pwd claer and pwd default
Exactpy like this but obviously mine has different words on the motherboard. It says 4-6 default 2-4 clear

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
the top row move it over a pin and turn on the pc for 30 seconds then shut off and put it back the way it was the bios will have reset, you might hear beeps or something but usually you dont see any thing

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
the top row move it over a pin and turn on the pc for 30 seconds then shut off and put it back the way it was the bios will have reset, you might hear beeps or something but usually you dont see any thing
if that doesn't work then move the cap over and leave the pc off for 5 minutes with the power supply plugged in and try it with the power supply unplugged if that fails to work move it back to original position after each attempt

TRENDING THREADS