Question I think I broke my system, but I'm not sure what's affected by what I did.

Apr 6, 2019
I recently rebuilt my PC. Using some previous parts, but a new case, motherboard, and CPU. I was also using my previous SSD and HDD which already had Windows 10 installed. So with everything put together and a little troubleshooting I boot into BIOS. Even load into Windows without any issues. I'm feeling great.

This is where things go wrong, and is mostly my doing. Since this is an upgrade from Windows 7, and I'm not sure what I did with my old discs as my first build was years ago; I decided to use Windows 10 built in Reset this PC function under recovery in the settings. Still not a big deal I thought.

Well, at around 66% of the way through the reset everything seemed to have froze. It's no longer progressing and the dots that spin to indicate it's doing things have now frozen in place. I let it go for a pretty long amount of time with no changes, and using my big brain hit the reset button on my PC. It turns off, turns back on, and now nothing is happening. I no longer get any display at all. And I'm not really sure where to go from here. The PC itself still seems to power on just fine.

So far I've tried resetting my CMOS, but I'm a bit scared about messing with anything without any research in case I just make things worse. However, can't seem to find much regarding my particular situation. Any advice as to how I could proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
GPU: 1660 Ti
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk
PSU: 750W SuperNOVA G2 80+ Gold
Memory: 2x8gb Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz
Case: Fractal Meshify C White - TG
CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX White

If you would like anymore information feel free to ask. Thank you.

With a mix of W7 and 10 it's difficult to troubleshoot things like that, it's probably trying to reset from W7 recovery partition. Beside clean W10 install, ext best way would be to download same W10 version (Home,Pro, x86 or x64 and language) and start "In place upgrade while keeping programs and files".
I would really recommend a clean install after backing up all personal files. Nothing like a nice,clean and fresh OS !!!

Apr 6, 2019
With a mix of W7 and 10 it's difficult to troubleshoot things like that, it's probably trying to reset from W7 recovery partition. Beside clean W10 install, ext best way would be to download same W10 version (Home,Pro, x86 or x64 and language) and start "In place upgrade while keeping programs and files".
I would really recommend a clean install after backing up all personal files. Nothing like a nice,clean and fresh OS !!!

I'll be able to get Windows back on without too many issues, just need to format my drives. My issue is that after the failed Windows 10 PC reset, and even after disconnecting all drives, my PC only powers on and nothing I no longer get any display at all. I'm waiting for a motherboard speaker to come in to help diagnose the issue, but I'm not sure how a failed Windows re-installation could screw my build. I have an inkling that my CPU cooler has failed during the installation which is what caused the freeze from my CPU overheating. That or maybe something happened with GPU drivers. I'm waiting for the proper stuff to come in from delivery so I can test these hypothesis.

if your CPU cooler failed then your PC would shut down right after the freeze. it sounds like it may have to do with the upgrade path or it possibly may point to an issue with your disk drive.

although if i am reading your post correctly you have several HDD and SSD's in your system with a copy of windows 10 installed on them or did at one point which leads me to believe windows may be messed up looking for a recovery partition that may be duplicated off all your drives which sounds like it can be a big problem

Apr 6, 2019
if your CPU cooler failed then your PC would shut down right after the freeze. it sounds like it may have to do with the upgrade path or it possibly may point to an issue with your disk drive.

although if i am reading your post correctly you have several HDD and SSD's in your system with a copy of windows 10 installed on them or did at one point which leads me to believe windows may be messed up looking for a recovery partition that may be duplicated off all your drives which sounds like it can be a big problem

The problem became that even after I removed all the drives from the PC, I still could not get any POST and no display whatsoever. I've tried resetting CMOS, 2 different GPUs and different PCIe slots, multiple sticks of RAM and different slots, changing CPU coolers and reseating the CPU. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the CPU power connection, the 24pin ATX power connection. I tried contacting Outlet PC service/repair since that's who I purchased the board from, and after running down just about everything I tried, he recommended that I just RMA the board. Although I am still quite a bit nervous. I think I'm going to try also purchasing a new PSU even though I trust my current one just in case as I still have no idea what caused the issues (PC Freeze during Windows install) in the first place as I had a successful POST/BOOT once. Although the motherboard taking a crap could of been the source of the freeze itself, I just never heard of it happening before.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
The problem became that even after I removed all the drivers from the PC, I still could not get any POST and no display whatsoever. I've tried resetting CMOS, 2 different GPUs and different PCIe slots, multiple sticks of RAM and different slots, changing CPU coolers and reseating the CPU. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the CPU power connection, the 24pin ATX power connection. I tried contacting Outlet PC service/repair since that's who I purchased the board from, and after running down just about everything I tried, he recommended that I just RMA the board. Although I am still quite a bit nervous. I think I'm going to try also purchasing a new PSU even though I trust my current one just in case as I still have no idea what caused the issues (PC Freeze during Windows install) in the first place as I had a successful POST/BOOT once. Although the motherboard taking a crap could of been the source of the freeze itself, I just never heard of it happening before.

One thing I would suggest before buying any new hardware - were you able to get a POST the first time? And if so can you get into the BIOS? If you can at least do that, then it's possible that this is strictly a Windows problem. What you could do is strip all of your hard drives except for the one that you plan to use as your primary boot drive. If you have your data backed up, then you can wipe the primary HD of all partitions and do a full reinstall of the OS.