[SOLVED] I think i fried my mb? :-(

dpepperd

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
So I’m gonna try to keep this simple…. I have an ABS Battlebox Essential Vortex I got from newegg about 2 year ago. It only came with a 240 Gig SSD as the C drive so I’m at the point where I’m having trouble with space. It has an ASUS intel 270 mb which does support M.2 memory. My plan was to upgrade by adding a Samsung SSD 980 (1TB) along with an additional 32 gigs of DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPS Ram that i had bought.

After i had installed both I got 5 beeps and shutdown right away. Much to my dismay after i started backing everything out (first SSD, THen the ram), I was still getting the 5 beeps and shutdown which from what I’m reading means a problem with my CPU.

• I did make the mistake of mixing ram so it had EVO Forza 19,200 DDR4 Simms in there and I added the Corsair which was 2400 MHz
  • I moved the graphics card down from the PCIE #6 slot to make sure that it wasn’t a conflict with the M.2 slot i read that somewhere but no help.
  • I checked all the connections etc and didn’t see anything amiss. I really didn’t mess with anything else I did a little dusting off with canned air while i had the case open is all.
So i guess i really effed myself pretty bad trying to do this upgrade. Obviously i effed up pretty bad somewhere along the line. Any help that can lead me to a solution would be more than greatly appreciated!! I do custom tshirt printing so the right person that can work with me to figure this out I will hook you up with some custom shirts!

Thanks!!

Dirk Pepperd

Solution
So I’m gonna try to keep this simple…. I have an ABS Battlebox Essential Vortex I got from newegg about 2 year ago. It only came with a 240 Gig SSD as the C drive so I’m at the point where I’m having trouble with space. It has an ASUS intel 270 mb which does support M.2 memory. My plan was to upgrade by adding a Samsung SSD 980 (1TB) along with an additional 32 gigs of DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPS Ram that i had bought.

After i had installed both I got 5 beeps and shutdown right away. Much to my dismay after i started backing everything out (first SSD, THen the ram), I was still getting the 5 beeps and shutdown which from what I’m reading means a problem with my CPU.

• I did make the mistake of mixing ram so it had EVO Forza...

• I did make the mistake of mixing ram so it had EVO Forza 19,200 DDR4 Simms in there and I added the Corsair which was 2400 MHz
  • I moved the graphics card down from the PCIE #6 slot to make sure that it wasn’t a conflict with the M.2 slot i read that somewhere but no help.
  • I checked all the connections etc and didn’t see anything amiss. I really didn’t mess with anything else I did a little dusting off with canned air while i had the case open is all.
So i guess i really effed myself pretty bad trying to do this upgrade. Obviously i effed up pretty bad somewhere along the line. Any help that can lead me to a solution would be more than greatly appreciated!! I do custom tshirt printing so the right person that can work with me to figure this out I will hook you up with some custom shirts!

Thanks!!

Dirk Pepperd
could you took off all the parts on the motherboard nd unplug the psu from power, took off cmos battery, press power button for 10 second to drain the whole pc, clean the ram and gpu contacts, check if there is any bent cpu pin and reallign them if there is some misallingned ones? and then put back the battery and another component and try to boot it up again.

Solution

dpepperd

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
Koekieezz, Thanks I’m hesitant to take off the cpu because it’s really out of my comfort zone and i didn’t have it off before. The m.2 slot is separate on it’s own section of the mb. I think maybe the other idea unplug cables, unplug psu, remove cmos battery etc is worth a try. :-(

Koekieezz, Thanks I’m hesitant to take off the cpu because it’s really out of my comfort zone and i didn’t have it off before. The m.2 slot is separate on it’s own section of the mb. I think maybe the other idea unplug cables, unplug psu, remove cmos battery etc is worth a try. :-(
well you gotta check everything even take off the cpu, it's the best thing to analyze if there is bent pins or not.