Question I think I fried my motherboard by short circuiting it ?

May 22, 2022
2
0
10
0
Alright, so I accidentally short-circuited my PC I think ?

A lightning cable was connected to my computer and I accidentally made it touch another piece of metal which had current running through it, a spark happened at contact and my breaker went off. I flip the breaker and go to my computer, it starts but I get no signal and none of the usb ports work. I tried resetting cmos and replacing the battery which did not work. All the lights/fans turn on but that's about it.

I have no beeping or any other errors displayed so I'm not sure what to do, gonna go buy a new mobo tomorrow but I wanna know what the chances are my other components are damaged, and if the mobo is the issue, to begin with, thanks!
 
Alright, so I accidentally short-circuited my PC I think ?

A lightning cable was connected to my computer and I accidentally made it touch another piece of metal which had current running through it, a spark happened at contact and my breaker went off. I flip the breaker and go to my computer, it starts but I get no signal and none of the usb ports work. I tried resetting cmos and replacing the battery which did not work. All the lights/fans turn on but that's about it.

I have no beeping or any other errors displayed so I'm not sure what to do, gonna go buy a new mobo tomorrow but I wanna know what the chances are my other components are damaged, and if the mobo is the issue, to begin with, thanks!
Since it tripped a circuit breaker it seems fair to suspect the PSU was drawing excess current and could also be damaged. That makes it a bit risky to use with a new motherboard.

It would be helpful to know exactly what was shorted to what, though.
 

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A lightning cable was connected to my computer and I accidentally made it touch another piece of metal which had current running through it, a spark happened at contact and my breaker went off.
A picture of that is worth a thousand words because a lightning cable attached to a pc, touching another bare wire with current running through it makes absolutely no sense on the surface.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY