Question I think I fried my pc

Mar 5, 2020
I plugged the charging end of a usb into an outlet while it was connected to my pc. the computer won’t even start up and I don’t know if there an issue with the psu or if I fried the motherboard

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You may have friend not only the port on the board but the 5v part of your PSU. I would say there is a solid chance both are cooked.

Unplug the system from the wall for a couple minutes, hold the power button down as well for 30 seconds. Then plug it all back in. If it still doesn't start up I'd replace the PSU first, if that doesn't work then the motherboard is shot too.

Reactions: Mudjug_
Remove AC power from the PC.

Find a free 4-pin Molex or 12-pin SATA power connector, or disconnect one of the in-use connectors.

Use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the +5V (red) and Ground (black) pins of the connector.

If there is a short circuit, remove the mother board power connectors one by one until the short goes away. This points to the motherboard as the culprit.

If the short persists, then the PSU must be the culprit.

I'd just try plugging the USB cable into another outlet again. Maybe it will reverse the damage.

(Yes, that's a joke. Do not do that.)

I'd just actually unplug everything from the board and test every circuit on the PSU first, if you have access to a multimeter.