Question I think I fried something in my computer but I'm not sure, can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2020
So let's get this out of the way, in no way am I going to be attempting overclocking again since I did it in an unsafe way I now know, and just dont have experience. But my issue is as follows. Recently, I built a new computer. By recently I mean about a week ago.

Case: Coolermaster Masterbox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER Black/Transparent
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450f Gaming ATX AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 16 GB (2x8) 3200 MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 LVME 500 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracudo 7200 RPM 2 TB 3.5"
PSU: Corsair (RM) 2019 80+ 750w Gold

Now my setup had been working perfectly okay for over a week since I built it and had no issues at all. Then I tried overclocking. Ignoring how dumb it was, I was told to do it in the BIOS. So i went into the BIOS and found the Manual CPU setting. After clicking through, I set the Core Clock to 3800 MHz, and the Voltage to 1200 mV. We tried this because in the BIOS my computer was using .970 - 1.130 V at 3.6 GHz. The RAM was already set to 3200 MHz, and the timings were set successfully by default using the AI Tweaker. I changed the AI tweaker to manual from auto, but left all the settings the same as before, changed the CPU clock and Voltage, and tried to F10 and restart. My computer didnt fully shut down. It entered the state it's been in since, where the lights didnt shut off, but it slowed down, revved back up, and the screen stayed black.

I have troubleshot the issue mostly as much as I am able. Most of my more informed computer friends seem to agree that the CPU is fried. The computer gets stuck in its boot phase and wont even load to BIOS. It turns on, all fans spin, all lights come on, and that's it. It does not send power to any peripherals plugged into it, and it wont go to BIOS. During boot up, the LED Status indicator flashes from Orange, to Red, to Solid White. It stays on White until I turn it off and try booting it up again.

I've tried resetting the CMOS with a screwdriver and touching the two pins multiple times. When that didnt work, I tried taking out the MOBO Battery and remounting the graphics card, twice. First for 5 minutes, second for 15. I still get the White light. The White LED is supposed to symbolize a graphics card problem, but my friends and I dont think that could be the issue as The only settings I changed were supposed to directly affect the CPU clock speed and voltage. So that leaves two possibilities in my opinion and I dont know where to go from here. The CPU could be fried and I get a new one and everything works. The Motherboard could have been reset by the CMOS clear, and lost the BIOS update (ASUS installs these by default on these MOBOs now) that allows it to work with 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs. Or the motherboard is just fried somehow as well. Any ideas or assistance?

May 9, 2020
I might be reading it wrong but I don't see it stating it shouldn't power back up after clearing CMOS, just that its not necessary. It also states that clearing CMOS can be used as an alternative solution if the first doesn't work.

I might be reading it wrong but I don't see it stating it shouldn't power back up after clearing CMOS, just that its not necessary. It also states that clearing CMOS can be used as an alternative solution if the first doesn't work.
I've read that sometimes resetting CMOS doesn't work because the CPU retains bad memory training parameters. In such cases you have to do a power-off cmos reset with a battery pull. I'd leave it powered off with the battery out and the short on the pins for several minutes, maybe even an hour although probably overkill.

If that still doesn't work you can force the CPU to retrain memory by going down to one DIMM and move it around to different DIMM sockets. Better yet would be to put in an entirely different memory DIMM if you have access to one. Once it retrains to that memory, just pull it out and put back your memory to let it retrain to it.

BTW...you're selected VCore (1.2V) was the safest choice, I seriously doubt you harmed the system by trying that overclock.

Reactions: damric
May 9, 2020
I've read that sometimes resetting CMOS doesn't work because the CPU retains bad memory training parameters. In such cases you have to do a power-off cmos reset with a battery pull. I'd leave it powered off with the battery out and the short on the pins for several minutes, maybe even an hour although probably overkill.

If that still doesn't work you can force the CPU to retrain memory by going down to one DIMM and move it around to different DIMM sockets. Better yet would be to put in an entirely different memory DIMM if you have access to one. Once it retrains to that memory, just pull it out and put back your memory to let it retrain to it.

BTW...you're selected VCore (1.2V) was the safest choice, I seriously doubt you harmed the system by trying that overclock.

I hoped I didnt over volt anything but I've tried all these solutions now and still nothing. Tried taking the battery out and recounting the gpu 3+ times now, tried touching both the pins with a screwdriver before and after doing that and even at the same time with the battery out, tried full resetting cmos by touching the inside socket of the battery or whatever someone reccomended trying with everything unplugged, tried remounting gpu in a different PCIE slot, tried resetting both ram sticks now one at a time. Still getting the same startup sequence. Orange light flashes for a few seconds, Red light flashes for a few seconds, and then White LED Light stays lit until I turn the system off again

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
I hoped I didnt over volt anything but I've tried all these solutions now and still nothing. Tried taking the battery out and recounting the gpu 3+ times now, tried touching both the pins with a screwdriver before and after doing that and even at the same time with the battery out, tried full resetting cmos by touching the inside socket of the battery or whatever someone reccomended trying with everything unplugged, tried remounting gpu in a different PCIE slot, tried resetting both ram sticks now one at a time. Still getting the same startup sequence. Orange light flashes for a few seconds, Red light flashes for a few seconds, and then White LED Light stays lit until I turn the system off again
Try taking the CMOS out for 30minutes +

May 9, 2020
Try taking the CMOS out for 30minutes +

Yep, tried leaving the battery out for 20-30 minutes with no success. I could try again but after trying it 5-6 times I dont expect a new result. I found someone that had a similar issue, and theres had to do with resetting the bios

updatehttps://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1097508-rog-b450-f-white-led-after-messing-with-bios/

May 9, 2020
Reflash the BIOS should work or update/downgrade the BIOS but its a last resort. If the process fails it could make things worse.

This is what someone from ASUS support reccomended but I havent been able to, bot sure if I'm just doing it wrong. Downloaded BIOS drivers onto a flash drive, plugged the flash drive into the motherboard USB ports, and tried launching it. It never gets through the POST process though still and gets stuck at the GPU check, even though I'm pretty sure the GPU isnt the problem. I'm not sure how to get around this, hopefully I was just doing it wrong? But I have no idea

zx128k

Reputable
With something like BIOS flashback you don't even need a CPU instaled.

Your motherboard supports ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 on page 76 of the manual.

Also the issue can be something else. Check the motherboards post LEDs to see where post fails. They are towards the top of the DIMM slot that is closest to the socket. BOOT--VGA--DRAM--CPU on page 16 of the manual. See which one the boot process stops at.

Last edited:
Yep, tried leaving the battery out for 20-30 minutes with no success. I could try again but after trying it 5-6 times I dont expect a new result. I found someone that had a similar issue, and theres had to do with resetting the bios

updatehttps://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1097508-rog-b450-f-white-led-after-messing-with-bios/
stupid question,but did you switch off the psu when doing this?

May 9, 2020
With something like BIOS flashback you don't even need a CPU instaled.

Your motherboard supports ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 on page 76 of the manual.

Also the issue can be something else. Check the motherboards post LEDs to see where post fails. They are towards the top of the DIMM slot that is closest to the socket. BOOT--VGA--DRAM--CPU on page 16 of the manual. See which one the boot process stops at.

The POST stops at the GPU check with a white LED. However it is a new gpu and the gpu really should not be the issue. Unfortunately I have no onboard graphics to test with, but if no gpu is necessary to complete the BIOS flash i will definitely keep trying to see if I can get that done. and this person with an almost exact same issue had the white led up but the problem was the bios. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1097508-rog-b450-f-white-led-after-messing-with-bios/

zx128k

Reputable
The POST stops at the GPU check with a white LED. However it is a new gpu and the gpu really should not be the issue. Unfortunately I have no onboard graphics to test with, but if no gpu is necessary to complete the BIOS flash i will definitely keep trying to see if I can get that done. and this person with an almost exact same issue had the white led up but the problem was the bios. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1097508-rog-b450-f-white-led-after-messing-with-bios/

Move the GPU to another PCIe slot. Install only one stick of RAM into a unused slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.