Question I think I got a faulty 2060. PLEASE HELP

Jan 6, 2020
Long story short I bought a 2060 by facebook marketplace for $240, looking to upgrade my 1060 6gb. It was pulled from an HP omen and therefore had a distinct look to it. I should've known better.

Strangest thing is that when I run FurMark or GPU-Z all the stats check out...but when I play red dead redemption it can't handle the same settings I had before, the benchmark is literally half the FPS that i got with my previous card. Updated drivers and everything.

With the Division 2 I should be able to get Ultra settings at 1080p no issue, but instead it struggles to get 25-30.

My set up:

i7 7700k @ 4.2Ghz (no overclocking)
16gb (2x8) RAM 2666
250gb SSD
500gbSSD
Asus prime Z270-a motherboard

Previous card:
EVGA 1060 6gb - was able to get medium/high red dead redemption 2 at 60fps.

GPU-Z confirmed the card:
NVIDA GeForce RTX 2060
GPU clock 1365
Memory 1750
boost 1710
Memory size 6144mb
Memory type GDDR6 (Samsung)
Shaders 1920 Unified
etc. etc. etc.

WTF is going on with this card?!

Jan 6, 2020
That temperature is high for that gpu, try going in a game (rdr2) and playing for a 30 min or so and see the max temp.
That could be the problem.
would it really prevent the card from getting FPS that are the same as a 1060 tho? Like out of the gate it wont get the FPS, its crazy.

For anyone familiar with RDR2 presets will also find this weird:

The "better performance" presets...their all the same with this card. With the 1060 there was like 4 different settings, but under this card they just say "Low" everything. Its really bizarre.

jovan.draganovic

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
would it really prevent the card from getting FPS that are the same as a 1060 tho? Like out of the gate it wont get the FPS, its crazy.

For anyone familiar with RDR2 presets will also find this weird:

The "better performance" presets...their all the same with this card. With the 1060 there was like 4 different settings, but under this card they just say "Low" everything. Its really bizarre.
Yes high temperature can effect your fps dramatically but if it was going up to 90s so i would highly recommend doing what i said to make sure if that is the problem.
And about the "better perfocramnce settings" i never played rdr2 but i think that settings are based on your performance while playing not what your gpu performance should theoreticly be, so that makes sense.

Jan 6, 2020
also with regard to temps, im pretty sure this card can normally go up 85. I know that cooler cards are happy cards but seriously, this card should be getting Division 2 Ultra 60+ fps and High settings on RDR2 60+fps and yet, its struggling to make 30fps in either of those games. What could be the deal?

Jan 6, 2020
The fans are going at 100%. What i did notice on benchmarks is that the cpu is only going at 30ish% while the gpu is 97%_100%.

Which is also bizarre and i dont know if thats the issue or how to even fix that
Just to add for clarity, the 1060 will have same usage but my cpu will be in the normal ranges (game depending) for usage. Its just so bizarre this whole ordeal.

Is it actually possivle the card is just a dud?