Question I think I have a RAM bottleneck, but I want to ask people who are more educated than me to find out if I am right on my thought..

Sep 20, 2022
Hello,

I have a fairly high end system that under performs, but no need to do any major troubleshooting as i may have found the main culprit by these key factors,

My system specs in case of any further details:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (Auto OC)
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti FE
Mobo: TuF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)
SSD: Samsung QVO 870 1Tb (OC'd using Samsung magician)
RAM: 1x 16 GB GSKILL RipJaws @ 3000 MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 Gold Plus
Resolution: 1080p (I try to play at a decent 144hz but mainly get 90~ish fps)

It's true, I am using single RAM channel for a Ryzen CPU (bully me later please, ive had this configuration for 3 years and was COMPLETEY unaware of the negatives T_T ) anyways, I want to believe my system underperforms because of my ram for a few reasons, 1: It's single channel - 2: No matter what texture config I use in game or resolution, FPS remains completely fixed and doesn't increase whatsoever (even playing at 540p, no difference in FPS), - 3: RAM seems to have fairly high usage rates in games (85-90%), and - 4: GPU and CPU utilizations are very low in games.

I wonder if doubling my bandwidth with another RAM stick, would this save my system from years of tyranny? Now, this had me speculating my CPU is bottlenecking my system, which could be, but it can't be much, right? I hate to compare, but I see users use Ryzen 9 3900x's even for 3090's/3090 Ti's and they don't seem to suffer fps loss. I also searched for RAM bottleneck symptoms and they seem to match what I experience.

If I am correct about if I am RAM bottlenecked, what would be the best RAM configs for this system? I have found my cpu's highest ram freq. it can take is 3200 MHz but I am not sure if I am right, I also found this link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC?tag=gamingcutter-20

I think this is a decent pairing for this system if it is a good fit. I'm no expert, but I am really hoping I have nailed this problem down to the RAM. After RMA'ing my CPU, almost RMA'ing my GPU and reseating every component in my system multiple times, I am hoping my issues are symptoms of a RAM bottleneck.

If anyone is aware of any other symptoms regarding RAM bottlenecks, let me know and I will see if what you know about RAM bottlenecks correlate to what I experience to verify if I am right.

Thank you all.

Hello,

I have a fairly high end system that under performs, but no need to do any major troubleshooting as i may have found the main culprit by these key factors,

My system specs in case of any further details:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (Auto OC)
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti FE
Mobo: TuF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)
SSD: Samsung QVO 870 1Tb (OC'd using Samsung magician)
RAM: 1x 16 GB GSKILL RipJaws @ 3000 MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 Gold Plus
Resolution: 1080p (I try to play at a decent 144hz but mainly get 90~ish fps)

It's true, I am using single RAM channel for a Ryzen CPU (bully me later please, ive had this configuration for 3 years and was COMPLETEY unaware of the negatives T_T ) anyways, I want to believe my system underperforms because of my ram for a few reasons, 1: It's single channel - 2: No matter what texture config I use in game or resolution, FPS remains completely fixed and doesn't increase whatsoever (even playing at 540p, no difference in FPS), - 3: RAM seems to have fairly high usage rates in games (85-90%), and - 4: GPU and CPU utilizations are very low in games.

I wonder if doubling my bandwidth with another RAM stick, would this save my system from years of tyranny? Now, this had me speculating my CPU is bottlenecking my system, which could be, but it can't be much, right? I hate to compare, but I see users use Ryzen 9 3900x's even for 3090's/3090 Ti's and they don't seem to suffer fps loss. I also searched for RAM bottleneck symptoms and they seem to match what I experience.

If I am correct about if I am RAM bottlenecked, what would be the best RAM configs for this system? I have found my cpu's highest ram freq. it can take is 3200 MHz but I am not sure if I am right, I also found this link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC?tag=gamingcutter-20

I think this is a decent pairing for this system if it is a good fit. I'm no expert, but I am really hoping I have nailed this problem down to the RAM. After RMA'ing my CPU, almost RMA'ing my GPU and reseating every component in my system multiple times, I am hoping my issues are symptoms of a RAM bottleneck.

If anyone is aware of any other symptoms regarding RAM bottlenecks, let me know and I will see if what you know about RAM bottlenecks correlate to what I experience to verify if I am right.

Thank you all.
Fix what shows.
Going dual channel certainly won't hurt perf.

You might want to run your stuff and see if you are hitting up near 16GB of ram usage.

If so consider going out to a 2x16GB kit.

Sep 20, 2022
Fix what shows.
Going dual channel certainly won't hurt perf.

You might want to run your stuff and see if you are hitting up near 16GB of ram usage.

If so consider going out to a 2x16GB kit.

I get fairly near 16 GB (14.8 GB or something like that)

but would 16 gb still suffice? I mean I dont max out my graphical settings or anything, am I ram bottlenecked because 16 gb isnt enough or is it because im only using 1 stick of ram, cutting my bandwidth in half?

I get fairly near 16 GB (14.8 GB or something like that)

but would 16 gb still suffice? I mean I dont max out my graphical settings or anything, am I ram bottlenecked because 16 gb isnt enough or is it because im only using 1 stick of ram, cutting my bandwidth in half?
Just monitor RAM usage while gaming and if you are not hitting close to 100% usage, you don't need more but dual channel and faster RAM could really help in any case,

Wassco

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Just look for a good deal on dual channel.

I'm using the same board with a 5950x and a 3090 ftw3.( 24gb ) with 32gb 3600 ram. And I'm never EVER going above the 10gb ram usage... I just got 32 for the deal.. never will utilize it fully.

Reactions: CountMike