I think I have a really sneaky virus on my PC . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Hi all, just earlier today I started experiencing problems with my PC . . .

1.) I'm getting these stupid audio ads even when I'm on my desktop

2.) Whenever I try to go to the Kaspursky site or the Malwarebytes site it isn't open.

3.) I've already uninstalled the fishy programs, this is a new PC so there aren't too many programs.

I really need some help, anyone.

Solution

I stopped getting notifications D: Sorry.

If you're still having the problem, what I did was reinstall/factory reboot on my PC :p

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

I get the same error," The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

I've tried All of those browsers already. I'm currently on Chrome

EDIT: I finally got malwarebytes installed, but it doesn't stay open, it's like someone is closing it at random times after I open it. It's random

if you're on mozilla, go into "TOOLS" > Add-on and set adobe flash (shockwave flash) to "never activate".

The issue is adobe flash, a lot of folks are complaining about the same thing, and it's been going on for awhile - in fact both google and mozilla threatened to dis-able adobe flash if adobe didn't straighten the issue out - they did for the most part but it has re-surfaced

When i went back to Intenet Explorer it wouldn't do it - but IE uses HTML5 - if you go to mozilla's web, you'll find how to install HTML5 on firefox

not a virus, malware or adware - just a screwed up app

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Time to for safe mode.
Search 'msconfig' go to boot tab.
Select Safe boot and network. ok and It should ask to restart.

Try running malwarebytes then.

Remember you have to undo this setting change to get the computer to boot normally after you run Malwarebytes and clean your PC.

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

How do I fix this with chrome?

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

Okay, I'll try it out

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

Okay just finished the malwarebytes scan, removed around 120 threats, but I still can't open certain websites and some things aren't staying open. I still feel like somethings up

EDIT: and when I open a website that says "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." it plays an audio ad, and the ad plays out even when no browser is open

It was doing the same with me - playing the audio from an ad when the browser wasn't open - i don't and haven't run chrome - try the chrome forums or the chrome support pages, but somewhere in chrome's setting you should be able to dis-able adobe flash (aka shockwave)

then google for installing html5

Matthew_39

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
having the same exact issue. ran avast and malwarebytes which located a number of infected files but still seeing "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred." when i go to antivirus websites. reset chrome settings to default.

There is an application, "belligerent" at "C:\Program Files (x86)\apathetic" which i have deleted a number of times but it continues to re-appear

MsRed

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Going through the same here. I'm getting really annoyed by this, specially because the $tupid ads will run even if no browser is open and the virus won't let you anywhere near security tools.
I've tried downloading malware and adware removal tools from all sorts of websites, but they are detected by the 'virus' and won't go through.
I downloaded malware removal apps using my laptop, but they won't function properly or at all, with the exception of Avast, that 'works', but tells me I'm protected and everythink is A-OK on my desktop. Which obviously\ is NOT! :mad:

420noscope

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
anyone found a fix to this crap I've been going at it downloading any AV program i can and running it safe mode i was able to run rogue killer. i run scans it finds a ton of viruses deletes them but once i boot my computer normally im still getting websites blocked and i cant launch the AV programs i was able to launch in safe mode. It doesn't seem to be an issue with my browser because i have all extensions disabled i reset the the browser i reinstalled it and on top of that still having the same problem. outside of that its not allowing me to launch AV programs i could previously in safe mode.

Jcsenter

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

I stopped getting notifications D: Sorry.

If you're still having the problem, what I did was reinstall/factory reboot on my PC :p

Solution

sam_n_eric

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
I just had this....

To remove the audio ads there was a program running in Task Manager that was using CPU. I think they use different names for the process because mine was called "ten" (obviously not a real program). I opened the process file location, killed the process then deleted the folder it was in.

Then I tried to install MalwareBytes to remove the rest but - like people have said - the malware kills the setup program before it can install.

There was ANOTHER process running called "network" that came from a random folder under Program Files (system files like this wouldn't run under Program Files). Anyway, I killed that process and deleted the folder it was in then MalwareBytes managed to install without being terminated by the malware. Ran the scan which removed all the bad stuff.

The trick is killing the processes created by the malware in Task Manager.

I also had to google how to re-enable WindowsDefender because the malware disabled that also via group policy.

I hope this helps someone so they don't have to re-install their machine.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.