Question I think i have a weird issue

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
I woke up this morning to my computer off even though my fans were spinning and ram was glowing like normal. the front switch did not turn off the computer and i had to hit the power supply switch. i did at one point hear a loud pop a few weeks ago could i be using a bad powersupply?

The PC does turn on when i flipped the switch just was black this morning

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It just happened to go black now now blue screen or dump file.

amd ryzen 7 2700x
24 gb of trident z ddr4 3200 ram
600w power supply (loud pop may be from this
MSI geforce RTX 2070

Yes it can be, especially if it emitted a flash at the same time. Are you experiencing other issues like blue/black screens, hard drive corruptions, wavy and static monitor display, electric shock, no boot, boot loop, dimming household lights when PSU is switched on, unusual fan behaviour, power surge protector triggered, etc?

Another thing to spot is burning smell and smoke.

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Yes it can be, especially if it emitted a flash at the same time. Are you experiencing other issues like blue/black screens, hard drive corruptions, wavy and static monitor display, electric shock, etc?

Another thing to spot is burning smell and smoke.
just had a black screen less that a minute ago and blue screens prior but those are far between most of the time it simply shuts itself off while im sleeping for some reason

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
just had a black screen less that a minute ago and blue screens prior but those are far between most of the time it simply shuts itself off while im sleeping for some reason

i;m assuming you're able to figure out what's causing those BSoDs and fixed it (like HDD corruption). If it is persisting even when fixed and there's new problems popping everywhere, it could be an unstable PSU.

Check out my edited reply earlier. I included some signs and symptoms please check it out if you're experiencing any of them.

Most of the time it worsen if it's an unstable PSU. Problems come and go, sometimes without any fix.

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
i;m assuming you're able to figure out what's causing those BSoDs and fixed it (like HDD corruption). If it is persisting even when fixed and there's new problems popping everywhere, it could be an unstable PSU.

Check out my edited reply earlier. I included some signs and symptoms please check it out if you're experiencing any of them.

nothing tripping the surge one of my ssds on my old mobo did stop working though like just stoped when i heard the pop

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
nothing tripping the surge one of my ssds on my old mobo did stop working though like just stoped when i heard the pop

You should run chkdsk on your hard drive, it can be the cause of those BSoDs. It can be a dying hard drive. PSU issue symptoms mimics other hardware issue symptoms. So make sure you check everything first before blaming the PSU. If you fixed it and it came back then that's the time to have a doubt.

Do not leave your computer running 24/7, it might catch fire without you around. Mine literally smelled burning plastic while I used it. The time I tested it, it blew .

Last edited:

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
so the same model blew up before , then you replaced it and heard a loud pop then your ssd died , are you sure you want to keep that PSU to kill more of your components ?

you should get a better quality PSU

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
317440 file records processed.
File verification completed.
6264 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
302 reparse records processed.
432314 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
302 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
57438 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
39730048 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

976100351 KB total disk space.
349449556 KB in 250177 files.
157264 KB in 57439 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
455731 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
626037800 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244025087 total allocation units on disk.
156509450 allocation units available on disk.

Im pretty sure its okay from that

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
so the same model blew up before , then you replaced it and heard a loud pop then your ssd died , are you sure you want to keep that PSU to kill more of your components ?

you should get a better quality PSU

Yea I agree with @Mezoxin , you should use a backup PSU while troubleshooting the whole PC. Mine literally just killed my 1 hard drive, and almost killed my GPU and motherboard.

I suggest this before doing anything like checking the drives and everything.

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Yea I agree with @Mezoxin , you should use a backup PSU while troubleshooting the whole PC. Mine literally just killed my 1 hard drive, and almost killed my GPU and motherboard.

I suggest this before doing anything like checking the drives and everything.
I have only $90 any one you would suggest of amazon and ill avoid using this pc till it arrives i dont have a car today to go to the frys electronics

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-GX-750-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-750FX/dp/B07WQYM74W?th=1
the focus gx 550w is an excellent choice
recheck all connectors on your psu cables and motherboard and peripherals for signs of cracks or burns , also specially check the pins inside the IDE 4 pin molex if you have any . remove any adapters you have connected to your psu cables , make sure that you have no pinched wires with side panels ,

would this one be good ?
https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-ATX-P...se-bin:6906985011&rnid=6525659011&s=pc&sr=1-8

Ledronas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Besides the poor quality psu, I'm surprised no one pointed out the OP's odd memory config...

Not related to the pops, but this is probably causing your BSODs. You lost the mixed ram lottery.
yeah i can pull out one of the sticks and make it 16 gb or add the other stick for 32 gb its all the same ram but the issue is the heatsink for the cpu is a bit too big for the ram to fit

TRENDING THREADS