Question I think I have fiber bend ?

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So few days ago i moved from my 1st floor to 2nd floor and i also moved my fiber modem into my new room and now my internet speed seems to fluctuate alot, for example if my internet is 4mbps then the speed randomly drops to 2 or even 1 mbps, I even tried using an ethernet cable but the problem still persist, no one else is using my wifi i made sure of that,
so can anyone please help me ?

Not sure what you mean a fiber bend. Most times if you exceed the bend radius of fiber you internally crack it and the fiber has to be replaced. Your modem should show the db levels. Hopefully it is one of the fancy ones that also show what the acceptable range is. This is you best indicator of a damaged fiber.

Are you sure you bought the proper fiber when you moved the modem ?

I guess what is also surprising is you have fiber to the house and you are only talking about a 4mbs connection. Many fiber connections are gigabit or at least many 100mbps.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Not sure what you mean a fiber bend. Most times if you exceed the bend radius of fiber you internally crack it and the fiber has to be replaced. Your modem should show the db levels. Hopefully it is one of the fancy ones that also show what the acceptable range is. This is you best indicator of a damaged fiber.

Are you sure you bought the proper fiber when you moved the modem ?

I guess what is also surprising is you have fiber to the house and you are only talking about a 4mbs connection. Many fiber connections are gigabit or at least many 100mbps.
Yeah I'm actually thinking about upgrading to a higher speed but i don't remember speeds being this low before i moved upstairs.