[SOLVED] I think I have windows installed on multiple drives

Foop_zngy

Prominent
May 10, 2020
I have a 500gb nvme ssd and a 2tb hard drive, windows is installed on the ssd not on the 2tb hard drive.
I recently replaced the 2tb hard drive with another one and the system didn't boot. It only boots when I put back the original 2tb hard drive. that makes me think that there are some windows files installed on the 2tb hard drive somehow. if that was the case is there a way to move those files from the 2tb hard drive to the ssd so I can replace the hard drive because I don't feel like installing windows again.

Solution
okay, no, there isn't a way. Since C is the entire size of the drive its on, and because of the format that the drive is set up in, there is no way to create a new partition on the ssd that can be the boot partition. The simplest fix is a fresh start. There is a complicated way to fix it but it might not work, better to just do it this way.

The partition marked system is the boot partition. Take it out and as you say, ssd won't boot.

your boot speed will be way faster once its using nvme as location of boot partition too.
How did you install windows? If the HDD was plugged in during the windows install then chances are some part of windows is installed there as well.
Honestly though, your best bet would be a reinstall of windows on the SSD. Not only to solve your issue correctly, but it would also be quicker than trying to fix/move whatever part of windows is embedded on the HDD.

Reactions: Foop_zngy

Foop_zngy

Prominent
May 10, 2020
How did you install windows? If the HDD was plugged in during the windows install then chances are some part of windows is installed there as well.
Honestly though, your best bet would be a reinstall of windows on the SSD. Not only to solve your issue correctly, but it would also be quicker than trying to fix/move whatever part of windows is embedded on the HDD.
When I installed windows both drives were connected but I used to disconnect them without any problems I think when windows updated it installed new files on the hard drive. It might be easier to reinstall windows on the SSD but it’s a pain in the ass to reinstall all the programs I have and I need a third storage device to move all my data to

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you share a screen shot of Disk management there is probably a way to create the boot partition where it needs to be
right click start
choose disk management
expand next window so details of top and bottom section are visible.
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show link here

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, no, there isn't a way. Since C is the entire size of the drive its on, and because of the format that the drive is set up in, there is no way to create a new partition on the ssd that can be the boot partition. The simplest fix is a fresh start. There is a complicated way to fix it but it might not work, better to just do it this way.

The partition marked system is the boot partition. Take it out and as you say, ssd won't boot.

your boot speed will be way faster once its using nvme as location of boot partition too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS