I think I messed up bad.

MrFluffyOwnsU

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Hello. I am a PC Gamer but I did something that may have put my data in critical danger. A while ago I was playing SMITE and I couldn't load into the match so I went to look up why and I found a solution where if you run "chkdsk /r" (don't know if that is exactly how the command is spelled) in command prompt (admin) and Restart my computer like it said I should do and little did I know that Stage 4 is an major pain with a 1TB HDD Seagate. I mainly used all of it but like about 30.0GB of it is left. (Side note I didn't know which this would fit in such as systems or storage) But back to Stage 4, I didn't want to wait 5 days (Read threads on how long it takes) and continued and I manually shut off my computer with power button. Now I have corrupted files and some stuff won't work such my Bandicam and Sony Vegas 13 and including SMITE. I am planning on a taking my computer back to factory reset and make it fresh. Will it fix the corrupted files and leave me be if I reinstall everything? (Windows pops up a notification saying that Smite.exe (32-bit, DX9 is a corrupted file in C:\$Secure) I really don't have time to do chkdsk. Will setting it back to factory work. Currently saving files I need right now.

Solution

Uh resetting machine during a surface scan (stage 4) is a really bad idea. You're lucky the machine still boots up to be honest.

If it were me, I'd pick up a brand new hdd (they're pretty cheap these days), and install a fresh copy of windows on that. That way you can recover your files without risking any further data loss. It sounds like your old drive was having issues so its probably getting to end of it's life anyway.

MrFluffyOwnsU

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

That is another problem (broke atm) what if I just factory reset it?

Well you could in theory reinstall windows over the top, but that isn't going to fix the corrupted data. Only running a full Chkdsk /r can actually do that.

What you did by turning the machine off *during a surface scan* was to leave the magnetic head in the hdd running over the surface but not under control. That will leave a stripe of corrupted data where the head changes stuff it shouldn't be.

Really you need to reinstall the software that's been corrupted to get it working again. If Windows is working, probably best to leave it alone.

Hey there, MrFluffyOwnsU!

It definitely sounds concerning. I'd advise you to backup any files you might still have access to and make sure you copy them somewhere safe and sound off-site. The best thing to do at the moment is to use the HDD's brand-specific diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's official website (or a third-party utility alternative) to determine the health and SMART status of your drive.

Be patient with the tests as they might take a while. Resetting your system and clean installing the OS might not work, if the hard drive is damaged beyond repair.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting and SMART results!
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

MrFluffyOwnsU

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

Is there a way to get my Windows 7 on a USB instead of just buying a new one? What will happen if I complete the chkdsk?

Well running chkdsk /r is telling the tool to scan the whole drive, and fix any issues it finds. In theory it can correct small errors in data. It takes a while as you've found out though. Also if the drive has 'bad sectors' (physical damage essentially) then it's definitely on its way out and you should replace asap. Mechanical HDD can be found for $40, they're not that expensive usually...

MrFluffyOwnsU

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

i went to your link and I clicked the Seagate link, do I instal the DOS version or Windows?

MrFluffyOwnsU

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

Since I am running a SeaTools Scan on my disk, is there anyway I can get this HDD repaired? I don't want Win 10 just Win 7.

You could start with the Windows version, if your system boots up properly and you don't experience poor performance and lagging. Although, the DOS version could be more accurate and won't interfere with the OS startup, since you won't be booted in Windows. However, you will need to create a bootable flash drive with the software, though. So make sure you do that first and then perform both the Short and the Long tests.

Keep us posted with the results afterwards.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution