Question i think i messed up!need help quick

Rastafare

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
hey there well i have a lenovo thinkcentre edge 72 and wana upgrade the cpu. it has the old i3 2100 and it sucks no joke so i decided to upgrade so i went to the lenove support i didi....bla bla bla.... and finally found the supported cpus for my pc and the one i wanted to buy is an i5 2500S so the bad news is i ordered a cpu online that is an i5 2500 no S at the end and i just realised that its different its been 2 days since order and rn iam worried that the i5 2500 wont be supported by my motherbord so i need ur help to tell me will a pc that supports an i5 2500S also support an i5 2500 coz i understand the K verson is different its for overclocking so is the s and the non s verson that different???

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The i5-2500"S" is a lower power 65 Watt TDP (Thermal Design Power) variant, which differs from the 2500 and 2500K CPUs in two ways:

The 2500 and 2500K are both 95 Watts TDP.
The 2500S has a 2.7 GHz base clock whereas the 2500 and 2500K both have a 3.3 GHz base clock.

Also, as ChumP has correctly pointed out, the "S" is recommended so it doesn't overwhelm the cooling configuration or the motherboard's VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules.

You would be well advised to exchange it for the "S" variant. However, your fastest options would instead be the 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge 77 Watt TDP processors such as the i5-3570 or i7-3770 or the slightly faster "K" variant.

Here's the list of Intel's Legacy processors. Just scroll down a bit to view the specifications for compatible 3rd Generation i5s and i7s.

CT :sol:

Rastafare

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
The i5-2500"S" is a lower power 65 Watt TDP (Thermal Design Power) variant, which differs from the 2500 and 2500K CPUs in two ways:

The 2500 and 2500K are both 95 Watts TDP.
The 2500S has a 2.7 GHz base clock whereas the 2500 and 2500K both have a 3.3 GHz base clock.

Also, as ChumP has correctly pointed out, the "S" is recommended so it doesn't overwhelm the cooling configuration or the motherboard's VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules.

You would be well advised to exchange it for the "S" variant. However, your fastest options would instead be the 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge 77 Watt TDP processors such as the i5-3570 or i7-3770 or the slightly faster "K" variant.

Here's the list of Intel'sLegacy processors. Just scroll down a bit to view the specifications for compatible 3rd Generation i7s and i5s.

Tx alot but i already used my budget on a gtx 960 so iam left with notin 4 now but somtin came up 2 me how about i turn off turbo boost and run only 3 cores will this reduce watt consuption enough to run it on my system coz its turbo boost gose from 3.3ghz up to 3.7 thats alot so and i will also reduce processor power management to 90% do u think doing this 3 steps will help?

Rastafare

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
Unfortunately the i5 2500 won't probably work on that motherboard.

Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 CPU Support

As you can see, they only support 77W or lower TDP CPU models. The I5-2500 has a 95W TDP and it won't probably work due to this motherboard power limitations. Even though the H61 chipset supports this CPU.... proprietary motherboards using it might not(such as this one).
Tx alot but i already used my budget on a gtx 960 so iam left with notin 4 now but somtin came up 2 me how about i turn off turbo boost and run only 3 cores will this reduce watt consuption enough to run it on my system coz its turbo boost gose from 3.3ghz up to 3.7 thats alot so and i will also reduce processor power management to 90% do u think doing this 3 steps will help?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If the motherboard's BIOS will allow the CPU to run, and exchanging your CPU is not possible, then yes, there are steps you can take to limit power consumption. However, depending on the software you run, the workloads might not place enough demand on the CPU to increase power consumption above 77 Watts.

Simply download Core Temp and use it to keep an eye on power consumption and Core temperatures while running your ThinkCentre Edge 72. You'll know soon enough if there are any power limiting actions that need to be taken.

Rastafare

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
If the motherboard's BIOS will allow the CPU to run, and exchanging your CPU is not possible, then yes, there are steps you can take to limit power consumption. However, depending on the software you run, the workloads might not place enough demand on the CPU to increase power consumption above 77 Watts.

Simply download Core Temp and use it to keep an eye on power consumption and Core temperatures while running your ThinkCentre Edge 72. You'll know soon enough if there are any power limiting actions that need to be taken.

Cool tx alot ill update u guyse on wats goin on

The thing is.... your computer might not even post with the I5-2500. As @CompuTronix pointed out, the BIOS probably won't allow changing the processor to a 95W part.

I've been working with Dell proprietary motherboards and from experience, trying something outside of the manufacturer's specification will most likely end up with your system not getting past POST.

Last edited:
So here's what you can do if it boots--go into the bios and set the cpu fan to manually run at full speed. I've actually used 95w processors on 65w heatsinks like this with no problems (for years in fact). You'll have fan noise and you can later one swap out to a different processor, but at least you'll be up and running.

And you will actually have slightly better performance too with the regular 2500:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-2500-vs-Intel-i5-2500S/803vs805