I think i no what to do but i'm here just to confirm

Chess of confusion

Reputable
Jul 28, 2017
O.k i have brought a 1 Tb SSD and at the moment in my PC i have a 2 Tb HDD that also has the OS on it WIN 10. And i would love the OS to be on the SSD instead..Now i'm well aware there's not enough space on the SSD and i don't want to delete stuff either.

So here is were i'm not 100% certain..if i can do this or not... after i power of the PC and unplug it and wait for the little light to go out.. usually i press the power to do that.

can i just leave the HDD in the PC plug in.. and while adding the SSD.. then as i put the power plug back in.. i'll have the the OS disk in the tray ready then simply select the SSD to install WIN on that.

Or should i unplug the HDD so it's just the SSD that's plug in so it only picks up the HD when ask... and then once the WIN is installed on the SSD i turn of the PC again Plug the HDD back in then i take out what i want from the HDD Games mostly then delete the rest.

I don't know if that's it or not thanks for your time.

Solution

Install the OS on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the old drive later.

USAFRet

Titan
1. How much space is actually consumed on your current drive?
Doesn't matter how large the drive is...If the actual consumed space is below 800GB, you can clone that to the new drive.
Or, if you can reduce that to below 800GB...delete some old gunk.

Details to follow if you wish to go down that road.

2. Or, you do a clean install of the OS and all your applications on the new drive.
Disconnect ALL drives except the new 1TB SSD, and install.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Chess of confusion

Reputable
Jul 28, 2017
No in my HDD i only have 467 gb i'm a small youtuber so deleting isn't really an option so i'm going to put the OS disk in the tray before turning off the PC then adding the SSD then when ask which HD i wanna use to install the OS on i pick the SSD. Thanks for the idea tho

USAFRet

Titan

A new install of the OS on your SSD will require a reinstall of all your applications as well.

And when you install the OS on the SSD, have the old drive physically disconnected.

USAFRet

Titan

Install the OS on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the old drive later.

Solution