Question I think I screwed up. Plugged the grapics 8pin into the cpu 8 pin slot.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I know I made a mistake, but damned, the instructions with the components these days are very lacking.

The new power supply on my new pc build is different than the last ps I used five years ago. The old ps had all of the wires coming from the ps. All you had to do was plug them in to the right places in the motherboard [mb].

The new ps only has two groups of wires coming from it. One cpu with two 4 pin connectors, and the main mb connector. All of the other PC's I've built only had one 4 pin cpu slot.

The problem is that on the back of the ps box [which is painted black there are sockets for you to plug in everything else separate. Once in the case I didn't see the 8pinPCI-E sockets. However, there was the open 8 pin slot on the mb, which is where I plugged the graphics card.

Well, the pc did boot up to bios on the monitor, where I tried to install my old win 7 disc [to be later upgraded to win 10]. I had issues with the installation of win 7 freezing so after trying everything I decided to look inside the pc to see if everything was okay there.

That is when I saw the pci-e slots in the back of the ps. I unplugged the graphics card pci-e cable from the mb, then into the pci-e slots in the back of the ps. Next, I plugged the extra 4 pin cpu cable into the 8pin slot on the motherboard.

Now the cpu will turn on, and everything lights up, and the dvd drive works, but I can't get anything to appear on the monitor.

So what exactly did I fry? I'm guessing it was the graphics card.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS Socket LGA1700/ Intel H670/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit - PVS432G320C6K
Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
gpu: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory
Internal memory: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive

Strange thing that the bios would work, and win 7 would try to load when the gpu was plugged into the 8 pin cpu slot on the mb.

Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
What is the model name of your PSU?
Model name can be found on info label - printed on PSU.

There are
8pin PCIE power and​
8pin EPS 12V cables.​
It should be impossible to insert them in wrong places (unless you're using excessive force).

Spsgx.png

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Motherboard 8, and 4 pin slot.

cpu 2x4pin plug

gpu 8pin plug

Actually the gpu pin fits the cpu motherboard slot better than the cpu [with both 4 pin cpu pins held together, and plugged into the 8 pin cpu slot]

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Okay. I've reverted back to just using ONE cpu plug into the single 4 pin cpu slot [leaving the 8 pin slot open with the gpu plugged into the pci port on the ps].

Now the bios screen is back up, and working.

Now all that remains is getting the win 7 to boot up.

Thanks for the diagram, it helped straighten everything out.

I work in the automotive field, and just about all electric connections won't fit into the wrong plug end [mostly]. I find it strange that the cpu would fit easily into the wrong slot.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
From all of the days of reading on this, it appears you're quite correct.

I ordered a Win10 from Ebay just a few moments ago.

Apparently, Windows comes in a usb drive instead of a disc.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
No. Like I said I work on vehicles, and I learned over 40 years ago you NEVER force anything. If something isn't going together you stop, and find out why.

If you look at the eight pin cpu socket in the motherboard pic, then look at the pic of the gps eight pin plug, you can see its an exact match to the cpu socket.